1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy a custom pickguard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by crazyfish, Mar 17, 2008.

1. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking to get a custom pickguard made. I would use Warmoth for this but they don't do guards from tracings (and the bass I'm putting it on has a non-standard hole configuration). I was going to use Terrapin Guitars but they're expensive and don't offer pink paisley (which is the color I want and it is not negotiable).

Has anyone else had a custom pickguard made? I'd like to hear your experiences.

2. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Try Allparts

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
  4. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Do they do custom work? I looked on their site and didn't see any indication that they do. Stock allparts guards probably would not fit my bass.

5. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for this, I just sent an e-mail quote request.

6. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    You can also try...

Pickguard Heaven @ w.pickguards.us
    or
    Pickguardian @ w.pickguardian.com
    &
    WD Music @ w.wdmusic.com

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
  8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Allparts does not do custom anything.

Sure thing. I've been long gassing over their pickguards, especially the wood ones.

9. I can attest to their work and service. Had a 3-ply white pearloid guard made for my SX, with a few slight modifications from the original. It came out damn near perfect. :)

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
  11. crazyfish

crazyfish

Sep 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I contacted Jeannie's Pickguards but they don't offer pink paisley. I just sent a quote request to pickguardian.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You might find it difficult to find a guard in pink paisley, and especially pink paisley in the "just so" colour and design. Paisley varies wildly in design, size, complexity, and pattern, and even pink is a hard colour to define, as it spans anything from light red to the slightest hint of salmon. I should know, i have a sister who is crazy over the stuff.

IF you can't find someone to do it just the way you like it, do check out the clear guards i mentioned earlier, and use spray adhesive to glue on the exact design and colour you want. If you glue on a larger piece of paisley than the guard, and then trace around with a sharpie, i think you could get something very professional looking.

I can understand why you might want someone to do it all the way, though.