Where to buy a dozen cheap cases?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ashtray, Oct 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ...without spending a fortune!

I have a bunch of electric guitars that have no case. I got them with gig bags or no case at all. I don't like gig bags as storage. I have these guitars out on stands/wall hooks at the moment, but would like to be able to store them.

The cheapest solution I have found are hard-foam zippered cases for $40, plus $30 shipping (each?!!). I have a couple and they do the job fine. These will work for the Strat and Tele shaped guitars I have, though my more oddball guitars will need more specialty cases. Ok - $70 each isn't quite the cheapest, but I think MF sells some hard cases for $60 each?

Am I missing anything obvious here?

This would be solely for in-house storage. Keep them dust free and protected.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    PortlandBass77 likes this.
  2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I'd check some local mom & pop stores and see if you can get a quantity discount.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    !!!! TRY MY SIMPLE 10 STEP PROCESS !!!!

Step 1. Go to musiciansfriend.com

Step 2. Sign up for their backstage pass program. It will earn you 8% back for future purchases.

Step 3. Sign up for their emails.

Step 4. Either wait for the next sale (they happen every holiday), or have a go with a salesperson telling them you don't want to wait for the next sale.

Step 5. CALL. Don't do this online. You won't get the discounts.

Step 6. Check out these bags for $14.99, or search for others. Musician's Gear Electric Guitar Gig bag

Step 7. Tell the person you're talking to you'd like the 10% off they offer on holidays (Purchases over $200 get 15%). I always say I'm interested in buying only if they'll honor that. 99% of the times they do. If they don't you can call back and talk to someone else. Will cost you about $160 for a dozen.

Step 8. Buy them. You can buy them on credit also and take the next 3 years to pay if your credit is any good.

Step 9. Keep them for 3 months.

Step 10. In 3 months your backstage pass points will clear, and you'll get $14 back if you paid full price. Buy strings, pics, or take $14 off your next MF purchase.

Easy peasy.

If you want a simpler option, you can try these - but I think the MF quality is much better https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=GUITAR+GIGBAG&rh=i:aps,k:GUITAR+GIGBAG&qid=1475587072&sort=price-asc-rank

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    He specifically said he doesn't want gig bags.

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  6. Thanks for taking the time to write all that, but I want hard cases, not gig bags. I have about 8 empty gig bags in my garage in storage. I could use those if I ever need to, but I want rectangular cases that can be stored easily.

MF has 15% off right now over $199. I don't think their $60 case is officially included, but I've always called and gotten the discount. I have some of their $60 tweed cases - the guitars swim in their, and knock back and forth when you move the case. There's too much room. They sell a cheap black case that I've heard is much worse quality (for the same price - they used to be $40 for those).

Guitar Center has the black cheap cases for $50 - which is same cost as MF after discount. In either case, I have to pay 7.5% sales tax.

I put a wanted ad on CL. Shipping an empty case costs as much as shipping a guitar, so its cost prohibitive for any guitar shop to ship them to me for free, aside from the big box shops.

Guitar Fetish has a generic polyfoam case for $40 - but shipping is $30 per case! Kills that deal.

The polyfoam ones are a bit thicker than G&G Fender cases but lighter, so that's helpful. I don't mind buying in bulk to get a discount, and then selling off any extras - but not sure that's an option with any vendors. The search continues.

7. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Alibaba.com shows a bunch of CH vendors in the $32-35/pp range with 5/10pc minimums. The problem would be checking for quality prior to ordering, I guess

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would CALL some of the on line shops. Tell them exactly what you want, and see what they would do. I would imagine Sweetwater would be very happy to sell you a dozen cases for a decent price.

PillO likes this.
  9. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Just using the riffcity site, it would be $900 shipped to CA for 10 polyfoam guitar cases.
    They go for $80 each. Funny how the same bass case is $70.

10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    For the basses that come without cases, I go to music-go-round. Never spent more than 50 bucks on one of their cases.

(Used, of course)

nuhckes8 likes this.
  11. Yeah - those are two options I am looking at, but $60 case is $50 plus tax after discount, so $54 each. And I don't like those cases. The RR case is $73 ea after discount and tax. I can't afford many at that price. I wanted to keep prices below $40/ea due to the quantity I need. Some of these are just for Squier Strats that are barely worth $73 on their own!

I do plan on just selling off the cheap guitars I don't want, but still will need about 6 cases for the ones I am keeping.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think that was an edit. But I may have also missed it. And yes, he can do the same with cases.

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so call MF and see how low they'll go on the cheap cases. they might go lower than you think since you're buying a bunch.

14. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Have your thought about a road/flight case guitar vault set up?
    Untitled.png

You can find used custom ones that can hold a dozen or so electrics if you want to cram them in. Some have doors that flip into work benches with power outlets and things.

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Almost all of the cheapo cases here are from Musician's Friend and bought ONLY when they have sales.
    IIRC in 2008 it was $39.95 per case plus free shipping!
    Now I think they drop to $49 or $59 per case and no tax and free shipping.

Sometimes Rondo(Kurt) has sales that make his cases competitive BUT he charges shipping.

Duder likes this.
  16. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I was also going to mention Rondo as long as you don't have any funky shaped guitars.

17. I've looked on CL for them - haven't seen any pop up. At the same time, its not the most compact of storage methods. Ie, that would be tough to slide under the bed. ;)

18. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    It would be hard to hide under a bed, lols. I was kind of assuming a long term storage situation in a garage, man cave, storage unit, etc.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021