1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy a *gasp* fake

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    I want to buy a Rick 4003 but cannot justify the $2.5K price tag. My price range is about 500 bucks.
    Can anyone suggest a website to buy fakes?
    I'm looking at aliexpress and electricguitardiscount.
    I want to get a 'tux' colour, ie white with black pickguard and pups and tuners and stuff.
    I have no intention of selling it or anything I just want a nice Rick. Fake or otherwise.
    Anyone suggest any good sellers for this colour.

Cheers

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Well they cost what they cost but its closer to $1500 I don't know where you pulled the $2500 from. I just hope you are not my boss with an attitude like that. I can't justify your paycheck so here is some counterfeit money.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm not a fan of "counterfeit" guitars and basses, but that implies that it is being passed off as something it is not. Rick does protect their designs more than other companies, but I think the OP wants a "copy" and used the term "fake" where he should not have.

There are lots of jazz bass copies out there. They aren't "counterfeits," so I'm not sure why somebody's blood would boil because of a Rickenbacker copy.

4. Shovel

Shovel

Jun 4, 2013
    Massachusetts.
    I can't see how anyone could justify the 800$ Dillion copy when the body is yellow pine. That just seems ridiculous.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nail on the head right there!

I myself would love a copy with a few mods or tweaks done to it. A thinner, bolt-on neck, better designed bridge, beefed up pickups, but still maintain the look and tone of the basses they are based on. In the hands of a company like Ibanez they could make a wonderful copy that appealed to people that might like some parts of the Rics but prefer a few tweaks to make it more playable.

Clark Dark and gregmon79 like this.
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Ric is going to shut down this thread. ;)

devntran likes this.
  8. How could Ric shut down this thread? They are not affiliated with talkbass and there is something called the First Amendment.

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  10. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Rockinbetter (Tokai) is a good bet... if you can find one.

11. WannaBeatle

WannaBeatle

Feb 26, 2011
    West Covina, CA (Los Angeles)
    Endorsing Artist: Pyramid Strings
    funny, it's a lot easier to find a Hofner copy than it is a Ricky copy. I've got a real Ricky, but I actually wouldn't mind getting a fake one, just for the hell of it. Also, a real ain't cheap..and they're getting more and more expensive as the minutes pass by.

I've seen a few of the 4003 looking ones (bound body and neck, stereo output, etc). But, I wanna find one that closer resembles a 4001s (no binding and dot inlays). I'd be ok with paying somewhere in the lines of 500 - 800 US dollars, then.

12. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Sorry.. I forgot to mention I'm from Australia. Here, Ricks can actually cost upwards of 4 grand here. Bloody ridiculous.
    Thanks for the help guys. I just really want a rick-look alike, pups and binding and fret markers and such like.

Moley13 likes this.
  13. Buy used on Ebay. Get one of the Ibanez lawsuit models, such as what Bruce Foxton used.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    You can get a new 4003 for $1600.

Or less if you shop sales.

In the USA.

In Australia try the Chinese connection.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    In the Dec. 1, 2007 issue of Music Trades, it was reported that Bernard Musumeci, owner of Oakdale Music in Oakdale, N.Y., was arrested and charged by Suffolk County Police with second-degree trademark counterfeiting after he allegedly purchased $20,000 worth of bogus Gibsons from a dealer on eBay. Police confiscated 33 guitars from Musumeci’s home and store. Due to his obesity, Musumeci was arraigned outside the Suffolk County courthouse.

:woot:

16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If I may suggest an "outside the box" alternative; how about a ProBass Retrovibe Vantage? It's certainly <ahem> inspired by the Rick silhouette. Also, from what I'm seeing there, it's not terribly expensive. I can't comment about shipping, but I am curious if it's more/less or harder/easier to have something shipped from the U.K. to Australia?

blindrabbit likes this.
  17. Arkazail

Arkazail

Mar 1, 2014
    buffalo, ny
    Those retrovibes are pretty cool. I've heard pretty solid things about them, nothing spectacular though. I really kinda want them, but the fact that the British Pound is worth SO much more than the U.S dollar is kinda killing that desire for me =P

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    First Amendment only extends citizens protection from 'government' interference. Privately owned venues and business's can muffle speech as much as they want.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014