Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy a GK MB150E-III/112?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Farin, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Does anyone know the best and (cheapest) place to buy or order a GK MB150E-III/112? I heard they were awsome. I'd like to try it out, but if I had to just order it online I guess I would.
    Those things arn't easy to come by.
    Thanks!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Last time I checked, Bass Northwest quoted me a good price.

I have an older MB150E-112 that I have always been happy with. My experiments with other amps have been in pursuit of more sound for louder gigs, but to be honest, the MB150E plus a more efficient extension speaker will probably be what I continue to use for those rare occasions.

If your EQ needs are modest, you might be happy with the less expensive MB150S combo.

Don't expect to be happy with the compressor or chorus effects. Those are not useful to me anyway, so it's not a big deal.

3. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Well, honestly, what is the diffrence between the MB150E and the MB150S? Just effects? More Power? EQ?
    Obviously I play upright, and would like to be able to control my sound as much as possible. Right now I am playing through a Carvin R600 head with a Fender Bassman 4x10 Cab. Its enough power, but is just to much to haul around.
    So, with that said. Would you suggest that I just buy a MB150E and keep the Carvin or get rid of it and use the GK as my main rig?
    Thanks!

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Farin,
    While there are many features that the MB150E and MB150S share the distinct difference IMHO is the midrange equalization. The MBE allows you to shift the center frequency on both the
    low and high mids and features a stereo chorus. The MBS does not have either of these features.

Ric

5. Hi!

Suggest trying <www.RiksMusic.com>!

I bought a G/K MB150S-112 Combo Amp and G/K 112 MBX Extension Speaker from them along with Carrying bags for both.
    I was very satisfied with their service and support. They are located in Knoxville TN and their phone number is (865) 531-8070

Good Luck!

\Bob McHenry bassman10@comcast.net

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You can download the owners manuals for these products from the GK website, and I recommend doing so. The "S" and "E" have the same output power, but different tone sections. The "E" does give you more control.

Unless you are really strapped for cash, don't sell the big rig right away until you find out if the GK has enough oomph for 100% of your gigs. I sold my big rig, and am now looking for a new one because there are situations when 100 W into a relatively inefficient 12" speaker is not enough. But it depends a lot on your own mix of gigs. I happen to live in a town where jazz gets played real loud for some reason.

Ability to download an owners manual is something that I take for granted these days.

7. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I've been using the MB 150 S for a few years and love the thing to death. I've never had a problem with not enough power on stage at a gig.

I use the lineout off the back and go to the board, I use the amp as my stage monitor sitting on a chair or stand right behind me facing the mic's.

Never have feedback problems and always have lots of volume.

If we are on a big stage then I get the sound guy (or myself) to run some bass through the stage monitors for the guys on the other end of the stage.....

I just bought an older GKMB 200 with compression and chorus and xlr post pre-amp out and to honest the sound in the mid range with the compression and chorus and the added mid range adjustment gives the old upright a little more thump and growl....

Thinking about selling the MB150S and the MB 200 now and buying the E model for the above mention reasons...

Also the 150S only has 1/4" jack output after the pre-amp, its xlr is direct from instrument so you can't send the sound board the tone you want the audience to hear.... Relying on sound guy to fatten it up. With piezo pickups this never works with out going through the pre-amp first as the sound is thin.

Just a thought, I bought a 1/4" to xlr adapter from RS that works well off the MB 150S but its another peice of hardware to lug around and lose or malfunction......