Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to buy a schertler?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony moore, Dec 11, 2004.

1. so why is it that every dealer listed on the schertler website even remotely close to me acts absolutely clueless when i contact them about buying a schertler pickup?

where did you schertler owners buy yours?

thanks!

tony

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Contact Lou Roten. Best prices, and he used to be the Schertler US rep. Now an independent dealer.

Lou@lnrmusic.com

Monte

3. now i gotta figure out which one :)

tony

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I've got both :rolleyes:

However, the Stat really doesn't ever see the light of day anymore.

Monte

5. so is the stat a piezo? looks like it and the description sounds like it. how does it sound compared to say a full circle? or realist?

i've got a feeling i'll pony up for the dyn but want to make sure...

thanks monte!

tony

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Stat is better than the Realist or the FC IMO. It is an electrostatic transducer(closer to a condenser than a piezo). It is clearer sounding than the 2 mentioned pickups, and you can get a lot more volume out of it. It really depends what you are after. The Dyn-B is an excellent pickup if you want a natural acoustic sound. It is close to a mic, but it still doesn't capture the "air" around the bass. The Stat IMO is easier to work with(getting a good sound quickly). The Dyn is more fussy, but once you get it right it is wonderful.

7. thanks! i'm after a sound that's more natural than the full circle. i would be ok with the full circle if it didn't exaggerate the finger sounds so much. amplifying is a compromise so i'm not expecting miracles... if the stat-b got rid of some of that pizz-finger exaggeration, i'd be cool with it. and i like the price of the stat a whole lot better than the dyn :)

so adrian, do you find the stat has less of the finger thing i'm trying to describe than the fc?

thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it!

tony

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You will get a lot of finger noise with the Stat. However, it is more natural sounding than the FC. It is also easier to EQ the signal from the Stat IMO.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As a second option, you could get a parametric EQ to get rid of the finger noise you don't like from the Full Circle. This would be far cheaper than the Stat, Dyn, or any other pickup. YMMV.

10. i've tried using the parametric eq on my baby blue II head to eq out the finger noise, but i didn't like the way it changed the sound. maybe the q is too wide on the bb II's eq...

monte or adrian, do you experience excessive finger noise with the dyn-b? i guess that's just a bridge pup thing? tho i didn't seem to notice it as much with the realist...

i guess it comes down to that i'm a "less is more" kinda guy and hate the thought of carrying around and dealing with a bunch of little boxes. it's a shame that pre's like the late raven labs and the d-tar solstice don't make their eq parametric to begin with. that seems to make a lot of sense to me...

chris, i saw you play at border's in downtown louisville a few months back. you sounded great!

thanks for all the input guys!

tony

11. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Any bridge mounted pickup will have excessive finger noise and arco will also be excessively loud. The beauty of the Dyn-B is that it is mounted on the table of the bass. I didn't think the Stat-B was that much better than a Realist or FC and I've heard ones that sounded better than the Stat-B's I've tried. I don't use a para EQ with either the AMT or the Dyn-B. However on my previous bass I did have a resonance issue and did need the Schertler preamp to notch it out however I don't have that problem on my current bass.

12. i think i'll spend the scratch for the dyn-b...

i really dug your site adrian! great sounds, pics and info! it sounds like we're going after a similar tone. but you're much more patient than i :)

and chris, i've heard you personally and loved how warm yet articulate your tone is. but man, i'm just not smart enough to keep up with all that gear :)

both of you guys are in several leagues above where i am. i gig and record with singer-songwriter types in the vain of tom waits, van morrison and wilco...

lou already emailed me with a quote for the dyn-b and i'll be ordering it tomorrow.

thanks for everything! i'll post how it turns out...

tony

13. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    hi,
    i was about to buy the Dyn but different people confirmed 2 cons: 1 for best results you'd better use all schertler stuff(pre,amp)
    2 dyn is very sensible to volume surroundings, so you should consider how easy your top is vibrating.

I changed my mind and bought a b-band D1, with my set up (swr head + goliath 3 jr) i had to buy also a clean boost because i found the preamp section giving the right tone but with low level.
    Hope this helps...

14. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I dunno - I think you've been a bit mislead on both fronts.

I don't think it's true at all that you have to use all the Schertler gear. Many of the Dyn-B users here on this forum are not using the Schertler preamp and not using the Schertler amp. I think it's much more of an issue of using some that's got the fidelity and the voicing.

Yes the Dyn-B does sense vibrations from the top of the bass but I believe it's extremely feedback resistant.

Adrian

15. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    ok, i welcome your experience, i just trusted what other players told me about, in any case i won't change my stuff if i'd like to change from D1. I'm keeping as 1st choice.
    but thinking twice when choosing your sound without chance to try it is anyway well spent time.

goodbass.

16. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I have all three (Stat, Dyn and F.C.). I don't think the Stat is very natural sounding at all on my bass. I still haven't found the sweet spot for the dyn-B on my bass. I might be expecting too much out of the sound. I'll probably sell all my schertler gear. The Full Ciircle has worked so well for me. Finger noise is never an issue like it is with my Stat-B. Plus, it is more even sounding. The Full Circle also has more of a frequency range than the Realist. I do play alot of Jazz, but lately most of my paychecks come from singer/songwriters. I just did a record yesterday out at Wille Nelson's private studio using the Full Circle and a mic and we were all really happy with the sound. It's been a while since I've used a direct signal on a session. The guy was going for a Tom Waits/Ray LaMontagne sort of thing. I used the Solstice as a pre amp D.I. Sometimes I use the Fishman Pro EQ platinum.
    Different tastes, different basses YMMV. PM me if you want to buy any of the Schertler gear Stat, Dyn-B or Pre-A. It's all in great shape. I'll probably get an AMT mic next to blend with the F.C. into the solstice.

17. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wonder if anybody has every tried a Dyn-B on a plywood top? I think that like the Realist (which is also in contact with the top of the bass), the Dyn-B sounds better with a nice sounding top.

18. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I haven't tried it on my Kay. Just my old carved bass. The Kay has a realist, but it I'm not that crazy about the sound of the Kay so I never tried it. I might try it out tomorrow just for kicks.

19. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    While waiting for Solano to finish up the bass he's building, I've been using the Dyn-B on my Kay with old strings. It still sounds like a Kay with old strings....

I think I like the Realist on the Kay better only because it took some of the edge off. That said, even on a plywood top, the Dyn-B is about as natural as you'll get short of a good mic.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just by way of presenting both sides, I couldn't get the Dyn-B to sound worth a damn on either of my basses. It was so bad I figured that both of them I tried were defective (and they may well have been). After the second no-go, I sent the Dyn back, sent Lemur a few more $$, and ended up with the AMT. So I guess the Dyn-B is not a pickup that works on every bass. YMMV.