1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

where to buy a tbred-B Athlon 1700/1800?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 22, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they're the ones that have the U in the part name, either AXDA1700DUT3C or AXDA1800DUT3C.

i know they exist, but i can't find them anywhere. everyones selling tbred-A's until it goes to 2200.

thx

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    those are tbred A's.

the B, i guess, hasn't been shipped in an official AMD package yet in those low speeds, but has been slipped for sale to places like newegg in very small quantities - likely a batch or two that couldn't make the top speed of a 2800+ so they were sold as 1800's.

they have a U in the part code...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't exactly know how that works, but I wonder about stability in those cases. Anybody care to explain it?

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    basically, AMD's gotten cheap and only has a few cores even though they, on paper, have lots of processors. making a processor that can hit 2.5 Ghz isn't easy, and due to production variables, some of them aren't able to attain it. so they test and verify them at a lower speed and sell them as slower processors. some of them are "locked" at their multiplier when they leave the factory, but others aren't, requiring just a bios tweak or a jumper change to start crankin.

but yes, you're right, if AMD didn't want it to be a 2700+ i probably don't either. however, paying 66 bucks for a 1800+ @ 1.5 ghz, and then bumping it to 2.1 ghz with no need for excess cooling...i'm down with that.

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I dont know if they have the particular cpu your looking for... But www.newegg.com is the only online PC parts store I deal with. Excellent prices and great in terms of quick delivery and customer service.:)

edit: My bad, you already mentioned newegg.