where to buy a tbred-B Athlon 1700/1800?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 22, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they're the ones that have the U in the part name, either AXDA1700DUT3C or AXDA1800DUT3C.

i know they exist, but i can't find them anywhere. everyones selling tbred-A's until it goes to 2200.

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    those are tbred A's.

the B, i guess, hasn't been shipped in an official AMD package yet in those low speeds, but has been slipped for sale to places like newegg in very small quantities - likely a batch or two that couldn't make the top speed of a 2800+ so they were sold as 1800's.

they have a U in the part code...
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't exactly know how that works, but I wonder about stability in those cases. Anybody care to explain it?
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    basically, AMD's gotten cheap and only has a few cores even though they, on paper, have lots of processors. making a processor that can hit 2.5 Ghz isn't easy, and due to production variables, some of them aren't able to attain it. so they test and verify them at a lower speed and sell them as slower processors. some of them are "locked" at their multiplier when they leave the factory, but others aren't, requiring just a bios tweak or a jumper change to start crankin.

but yes, you're right, if AMD didn't want it to be a 2700+ i probably don't either. however, paying 66 bucks for a 1800+ @ 1.5 ghz, and then bumping it to 2.1 ghz with no need for excess cooling...i'm down with that.
  5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I dont know if they have the particular cpu your looking for... But www.newegg.com is the only online PC parts store I deal with. Excellent prices and great in terms of quick delivery and customer service.:)

edit: My bad, you already mentioned newegg.