1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy an Upright... Vancouver island / Vancouver area.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by HudsonTD, May 20, 2011.

1. HudsonTD

HudsonTD

May 13, 2011
    Hi there,

I'm a student looking to buy a bass that will get me through college but I'm not sure about where good violin shops are. I'm willing to travel to Vancouver to look at shops there, but if I could first take a look on Vancouver island that would be great. So does anyone know any good shops on the island or in the Vancouver area that could sell a decent bass for around 5-12k?

Thanks,
    Hudson TD.

2. Try calling a "Long & McQuade" store. There are several in B.C., including one in Victoria.

Long & McQuade - Locations

If they don't have what you're looking for, maybe someone there can point you in the right direction.

3. HudsonTD

HudsonTD

May 13, 2011
    Yeah, thanks. The bass I own right now is from there. I'm just looking for an upgrade, and they don't keep any basses beyond student models. But I didn't think of asking them about other stores that might, so thanks for the advice.

4. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Jim Hamm is somewhere around there. where's Jake when you need him?

5. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    What's your budget ?
    I know of several Basses for sale in the area, depending on how much you wish to spend.

Oops , reread your post and saw your cost parameters.
    That will teach me to be in a hurry !!

You have a PM.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    There are a couple of basses in your price range for sale in Bellingham right now. And I think Gerard has a Hofner on consignment: www.luthier.ca

7. Hi HudsonTD,

I just sent you a pm on the subject. I have a nice bass I'm now liking to sell. I live in Seattle but can work something out with you to meet up, in order to check it out, if you are interested.

8. Thanks for the nod Jake. Very kind of you. I do still have the Hofner here, gathering dust, as it seems to be a record slow time these past couple of years. The former player's widow is patient, wants it to go to someone deserving and not in any hurry it seems. Heck of a decent sounding Hofner. Mostly I don't like those basses so much.

If you can find one of the really well made Chinese basses carrying the label J. Heinrich those are startlingly good buys which sound absolutely incredible and are made in absolutely traditional fashion, from very nice woods. Problem is, there are only a few of that quality, the ones apparently made by Italian-trained Chinese luthiers working in Romania, using Romanian woods, and somehow or other distributed through the same place where a host of rather awful 'J. Heinrich' basses come from, made in China. I could go into all the many differences but frankly don't need to. You'd know, just looking at the good ones. They look like they were made by a custom luthier here in North America, with somewhat exaggerated corners on the violin pattern and light weight of clear varnish over beautiful wood. They look like they should cost $10,000 or more. But they sell for between $2,800 and $4,000. I've set up three, and have been consistently amazed by the quality. L & M has carried only one so far as I know, and sold it to an employee at a bit over cost. She stopped playing her Kay as soon as I set up the Heinrich. Couldn't go back to it. Night and day. I've been trying to get the somewhat difficult local distributor pinned down on when he intends to bring in more, but he seems to want to sell violins and 'cellos...

9. Seattle isn't that far away, and they have several bass shops - Bass Church and Hammond Ashley.

10. HudsonTD

HudsonTD

May 13, 2011
    I believe I have found what I need. Thank-you everyone for the many options.

11. Don C

Don C

Jan 13, 2007
    Victoria BC
    You have a PM

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Well...what did you find and where are the pictures?! ;)

13. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    So yea, I'm also thinking of making the switch over to the upright. I'd say my price range is more in the 2-3k range. I'm not really in any rush, but definitely excited. Also any recommendations for teachers?

14. Send me a PM or email if you like, and a rough idea of what sort of music you're after. Perhaps I can offer a couple of names.

15. banjoboy

banjoboy

Nov 1, 2009
    Check out the Craigslist for Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle. I've seen a lot of basses recently, including Kay, Thompson, Upton, Shen, and lots of others. It seems like it's a good time to be buying.

16. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    I saw the Kay and the Shen. I really like the sb300 but unfortunately out of my price range. Didn't see the Upton however...

17. banjoboy

banjoboy

Nov 1, 2009
    It was there a week or two ago. Around $2000.00 if I recall correctly. Not surprising it's not there now.