where to buy an upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by funkzone, Aug 15, 2003.

1. funkzone

Aug 10, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    I live in southeastern NC, does anyone know of a good upright shop in NC, VA, SC, MD or anywhere somewhat close that you would recomend?? I'm considering going up to NY & picking one up @ David Gage's shop. Anyone been there and done business with him? From what I understand, he has the best selection at the cheapest prices, I really don't see how I can loose.

I have a budget of about 2K, I would prefer to buy a used european bass, plywood or part plywood would be ok, the older the better. Any ideas?
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    If you haven't check the Newbie Links to get an idea sort of what bass you want, the pros/cons of different types [full laminate, hybrid etc], and check [all hail] Bob G's site for a huge listing of different luthiers and retailers. Sorry i can't be much help. That's all
  3. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Give Bob Beerman at the Bass Violin Shop a call. He's in Greensboro and usually has a nice selection of basses available. His website is bassviolinshop.com.
  4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I second the Bass Violin Shop. Bob is very nice and very helpful. Last time I was there, he had a good selection of $3000+ older basses, and a couple of those new Cremona (low quality, and he'll tell you that himself) basses. He's very honest and upfront about everything.

There's a 70s or 80s something Englehart for sell at Zepp's Country Music in Wendell, but they want $2000 for it, which is too much.

Other than that, I would suggest going to some of the bluegrass fiddler's conventions. We're in prime country for it, and there can be some interesting finds there if you know what you're looking for. 2 weekends ago at Galax, I saw a 50's 5 string Kay. It needed some set up, but could be pretty nice for bluegrass at least.

My last suggestion would be Lemur Music. I bought my '60s Johan Rauner from them (after visiting their store in CA) and I have found them to be incredible knowledgeable and honest. Their description of my bass when they had it online was dead-on. I would consider buying from them online if you call and talk to them about what you what. As far as selection goes, anyone but David Gage would have trouble matching them.

Happy hunting!

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Bob Beerman is a great choice, and you're also close to Donley Violins in Charlotte and Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain. I'd recommend calling either for stock before driving.

Further North you have T. Martin and Son in Lynchburg, VA, and Bob's House of Basses in Bowie, MD if you don't mind the drive. Bob usually has quite an inventory. I'm sure you won't be disappointed by a trip to Gage's also.
  6. funkzone

Aug 10, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    I think I'm going to hold out for David Gage's, I've got a friend in Brooklyn that I need to pay a visit.