Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy bass parts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 88tuner, Nov 23, 2003.

1. I have noticed the it costs alot of money to buy bridges, pickups, nuts, tuners, etc.... Is there a place to get them in bulk or at a better price? I have an account on wdbiz but is there somewhere better or less expensive?

2. Thanks for the help. I still have a question though. I've been all but two of these places and it still seems that the prices are very high. It seems hard to make a bass for under $300 but I see custom bass guitars everywhere for around $300. How's that possible? Are they making money? Are they buying parts in bulk at a less expensive price?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Where are you seeing all of these $300 custom basses? Just curious... I've seen nothing like that.

The $300 basses aren't using the better name brand parts... they can't

4. I'm with Brad. For something nice with mid to high quality parts, you can look at $300 as a good starting point for a set of hardware. That's if you ply the traditional routes of purchasing retail. If you are a hobby/low volume builder, you can save on the occasional high quality part through ebay and keeping your eyes open among the boards for stuff. If you are a volume builder, you likely won't be satisfied with the fluxuating supply and you'll have to purchase in volume to match your unit production. I get my parts from anywhere I can. Sometimes I'm looking for something special but sometimes I jump on deals with nothing in mind but to acquire it for later. I've got a set of Seymour Duncan active P/J pups that I've had for 3 years waiting for the perfect project. Things like that. Lately, I've grown the need to expand a little so I've looked into direct importation of parts. It's dicey, but it can be another way to get parts less expensively

5. That's really good. I just thought I was wasting money. I just ordered parts form the bass I'm currently working on for Carvin. I got their bridge, prewired pickups, and tuners, strap buttons, graphtech nut, and ferrals for $205 with shipping. I got my truss rod from Stumac.com . Do you consider Carvin parts to be a good quality part? I did my last bass with them and I was pretty satasfied.

6. Most of Carvin's hardware is manufactured by others - Hipshot, Gotoh, etc. Sure, this is good stuff.

Electronics are their own (design if not manufacture) and the other parts like bodies and necks are made here in the USA.