Where to buy bass parts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 88tuner, Nov 23, 2003.

1. I have noticed the it costs alot of money to buy bridges, pickups, nuts, tuners, etc.... Is there a place to get them in bulk or at a better price? I have an account on wdbiz but is there somewhere better or less expensive?
  2. Thanks for the help. I still have a question though. I've been all but two of these places and it still seems that the prices are very high. It seems hard to make a bass for under $300 but I see custom bass guitars everywhere for around $300. How's that possible? Are they making money? Are they buying parts in bulk at a less expensive price?
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Where are you seeing all of these $300 custom basses? Just curious... I've seen nothing like that.

The $300 basses aren't using the better name brand parts... they can't
  4. I'm with Brad. For something nice with mid to high quality parts, you can look at $300 as a good starting point for a set of hardware. That's if you ply the traditional routes of purchasing retail. If you are a hobby/low volume builder, you can save on the occasional high quality part through ebay and keeping your eyes open among the boards for stuff. If you are a volume builder, you likely won't be satisfied with the fluxuating supply and you'll have to purchase in volume to match your unit production. I get my parts from anywhere I can. Sometimes I'm looking for something special but sometimes I jump on deals with nothing in mind but to acquire it for later. I've got a set of Seymour Duncan active P/J pups that I've had for 3 years waiting for the perfect project. Things like that. Lately, I've grown the need to expand a little so I've looked into direct importation of parts. It's dicey, but it can be another way to get parts less expensively
  5. That's really good. I just thought I was wasting money. I just ordered parts form the bass I'm currently working on for Carvin. I got their bridge, prewired pickups, and tuners, strap buttons, graphtech nut, and ferrals for $205 with shipping. I got my truss rod from Stumac.com . Do you consider Carvin parts to be a good quality part? I did my last bass with them and I was pretty satasfied.
  6. Most of Carvin's hardware is manufactured by others - Hipshot, Gotoh, etc. Sure, this is good stuff.

Electronics are their own (design if not manufacture) and the other parts like bodies and necks are made here in the USA.