Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy basses and amp gear in central Calif

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Mar 27, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hi All. I live about 2.5 hours east of San Fran, and the same from Sacramento, in a very small town. I am looking to buy a Ric 4003 ($1100?)and a decent amp in the next year. I am looking at an EA iamp 800 ($1800?) or Peavey BAM ($1200?)for combos, or a rack rig ($1500?). I like the sound of 15" speakers, but am considering 12's and 10's now also. Currently I have a Peavey TNT 115 and Schecter Diamond Series 004 active 4 string bass that has a wide range of tones, from warm to bright, a Samick Tabu active 4 string bass and a cheap OLP MM copy passive.

I was wondering if it would be safe to order a Ric or amp thru Musicians Friend, Zzounds, online, etc., or go to a store for these large money purchases? At least that's large $ for me. I want a rig that covers the entire sonic spectrum, from bright to low and deep/warm. I am looking to play all styles, from light jazz to classic rock and pop. Thanks for the help.

2. I take it you're not wanting to take a trip to any music stores, but that might be a good idea to try out some equipment at these places. There's a Guitar Center here in Sac, and another in San Jose as well as numerous smaller ones. (Gelb Music in Redwood City, Skips in Sac.)

I wouldn't recommend buying online from MF or AMS or zzounds, because you'll pay top dollar for the high end stuff. You can haggle with a saleperson.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Where are you, in like around Merced or Modesto something? I sure don't remember much of anything with selection in that area. If you don't want to drive to Frisco or Sac, then definitely try Fresno if it's closer. I remember a few good shops there.

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Archer's in Fresno went out of business. There is a Guitar Center there now :meh: and one other store that isn't that great.

5. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    I'm near Modesto sort of. I'm about an hour from Modesto, in the foothills. There's only 1 music store, they carry Peavey amps and cheap Fender imports and that's about it.

It looks like I'll be making a trip to either San Fran or Sacramento when I'm ready to buy. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. :)

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Well, here's one more option. 3.5 hours away from you is Lightning Joe's in Atascadero. Cool guitar store. He sells a lot of RICs and you could enjoy the Central Coast.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ooh-ooh! Lightning Joe's In Arroyo Grande (not Atascadero) is killer place! I lived in Fresno about 10yrs ago for a very short while and I remember an American Music being there, and two others a little more south down Shaw, but I can't remember the names. But I grew up on the coast along Santa Barbara to San Luis (and the bay area), and Lightning Joe's is great.
    But from where bluebyrd is at, a drive to San Jose is worth it. You got lots to choose from there...Guitar Showcase, etc.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey, Bluebyrd, Mo-town here, I drive through the foothills all the time. The other suggestions given are good, and also consider Gelb Music in Redwood City. It's a gem. Though I don't recall if they are a Rickenbacker dealer. I never thought Modesto would get a Gu*tar Center, but here we are. uugghh.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Gelb Music in Redwood City.

10. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Doesn't Skips still have a store in Modesto? I would check with Rickenbacker for the closest dealer. The Bay Area has the widest selection of stores. Gelb is a great choice. If you buy a bass online and don't like it, your out the shipping.

11. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Yes rumblethump, I'd rather not hassle with something I don't like thru the mail. Not only would I be out the shipping charges, but it's all the hassle of repackageing a return, getting an authorization number if needed, etc. I'd rather take a day and make a trip somewhere to a store than do all that.

Though with what it will cost in gas these days, it'll probably we cheaper to eat the shipping charges!!! :)
    gasoline is now $2.19/gallon here! yikes!

thanks again everyone for the info.