1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy chrome precision bass pickup cover?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meddle, May 11, 2010.

1. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Hello all. I am looking to get my mitts on such a pickup cover. I'm surprised they don't come on lower end Fender P-basses or copies, and I was wondering where they can be found?

I found an allparts one on ebay for £20 gbp, which is a LOT for such a small and insignificant piece of metal really. I like them because I have a very backward-bending/double jointed thumb and I find I can sit my thumb on the top of the thing easily.

The odd thing is I can get every other such part easily. The chrome precision bridge cover is easily found (and people remove these quicker than the pickup cover!), the jazz pickup and bridge cover can also be found easily and cheaply.

Now these things must be made on a machine somewhere, stamping these things out around the clock. Plus a huge proportion of P-bass owners must have bought basses with them off and broken out the crosshead screwdriver the minute the bass got in the door, so where are these?

I am right in thinking the jazz cover is wider and more eliptical, whilst the P cover is more rectangular right? A jazz cover on a P would look wrong.

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Most on-line parts stores carry them, they are a very common add-on. Just Google Bass Parts.

3. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I did and I got a lot of covers for pickup bobbins. Ontop of that things get frustratingly vague after a while. Turns out the official allparts website has them for £10, though their ebay store has them for £20.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    You can get them HERE but international shipping may not make it that good of a deal.

^^ Beat me to it.

6. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks for the links. I was looking at more UK-centric sites tbh.