1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

where to buy exotic woods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kran Banger, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Kran Banger

Kran Banger

Dec 1, 2006
    hey, im about to start a new bass, i was wondering if you guys could suggest an inexpensive convinent place to buy some semi-exotic woods...i need purple heart, birdseye maple, swamp ash, and coco bolo

2. "inexpensive" = ebay

I've gotten some pretty cool figured maple, and bubinga from ebay.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I don't know where you're located, but around here I can get all of those woods at a local business (Windsor Plywood). However, if you don't know how to select wood, you'd be better off to look into someone like Gallery Hardwoods that deals with a lot of wood for instrument builders.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Tribal!

You're being summoned!!

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

You mean for a PM, I hope :)

Hi Kran Banger,

As suggested, there are fellow users who are also sellers of such woods, and they come highly recommended. Please make sure to discuss any actual business transactions within their forums, through the PM system, or through emails. Thanks!

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    :bag:

:D

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The variance on EBay is through the roof. After shipping, I've rarely ended up with anything cheap (except for a huge 12/4 chunk of balck limba I got for like $12 - sweet!).

I have bought from Gallery and quality is excellent. Much safer than buying from EBay as your yield will be exactly what you need.

But the cheapest prices will almost always be local if you can find a hardwood seller in your area. Keep in mind that if you buy mail order from someone who is not used to selling to instrument makers you will have to buy extra wood/be very specific with your requests to get the yield you need in addition to paying shipping.

8. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    I'll also give kudos to Gallery. Larry is very easy to work with, even on small orders. He also has great stuff, and exceptional talent with matching pieces to order.

P.

9. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I'll second Larry and Gallery......helpful, fast, and very responsive.