1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy from?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, May 4, 2010.

1. Local store, pros: get to try before buy, cons: high taxes (10.25%)

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Online (GC, MF), pros: cheaper, cons: can't try before buy

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Online used (GC), pros: much cheaper, cons: can't try before buy, can't guarantee it isn't a dud

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Planning on buying a bass (RI Mustang) and I've already tried it several times and know how it feels. I basically have several options to buy:

1) Buy from a local store for $840, but with 10.25% sales tax (but I get to try it out first)

2) Buy online from GC or Musician's Friend for around $750 and have it shipped

3) Buy used from GC for around $500 and have it shipped

What's best here? I can save money buying used but there's the issue of quality. I could buy new but then I can't try the specific instrument first. I could buy from the local store but suffer the high taxes.

What does everyone think is best here?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    2, but do MF so you don't pay sales tax. If you don't like it send it back and get a different one.

3. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I am with the GC or MF option. Most GC stores used to keep those in stock. Very cool basses, just could never get into the short scale thing.

4. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Musiciansfriend.com

Why pay tax at the local shop unless they're gonna throw it some free crap with it too. I mean you might have to wait a week for the bass to come if you order online but it's worth it...

5. used

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm a big advocate of try it before you buy it. So first thing I'd do is try to find a used one that I can play, if I couldn't do that, I'd have the store match or beat the advertised price of $750 and not complain about the sales tax. If they aren't willing to match/beat the other price, then I'd find either another bass I like and/or shop around at other stores.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    buy one used on Ebay

8. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Double-check the Tax thing. I opened a PayPal dispute because I was charged sales tax a few hours after I approved the amount of my order. MF (Musician's Friend, NOT what I call them!) said it had to do with where the item was shipped from. FWIW

X8

9. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Online and wait for a 15-20% off sale.

10. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ

I agree with this if "playing it first" matters. I've bought gear this way. I just tell the brick and mortar store that I can get the same stuff for "X" amount from "X" website and usually they'll meet the price or get close. I've even had them match the web price and that included the tax they would have charged me.

If "playing first" doesn't matter, then wait for the % off sales and get your gear from one of the multitude of music sites (stick to the reputable ones) on the 'net. Nice thing about most of these places is the 30-45 day return policy.

Of course there's the new vs. used debate :p

11. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    Actually that is a concern for certain states. Here in Illinois we are charged tax for shipping stuff bought online in-state, out-of-state, or both, not sure exactly.

12. I always try to support my local dealer. Their expertise is of great value to me. Nice to see the same faces I've seen for years. I trust my guys. They've never steered my wrong and are always honest. Can't put a price tag on that stuff!

13. LSquared

LSquared

Jul 28, 2009
    SW Illinois USA
    +1. Take a printout of the page from MF or GC, just hand it over and say "what can you do for me?" Maybe nothing... maybe surprise you. I did that with a camera lens once, the local guys couldn't get close to the online price. But I gave 'em a chance.

As for me? My basses have come from: Pawn shop, local guitar store (used), craigs list (x2), eBay. One of these days I should try a new one!

14. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I live in IL and have never paid tax for an online purchase unless:

1) The internet site has a brick and mortar store in IL (ie Guitar Center)

2) The internet site is based in IL

I buy a lot of stuff from Musiciansfriend, Music123, Zzounds, Amazon.com, etc and have never paid tax (or shipping in most cases)

15. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have bought 2 basses online and had no troubles. they both needed a proper set up but thats expected even buying a bass from guitar center. I think you should come out to portland and check out old town music right by the paris theator and voodoo donuts on 3rd. the last time i was in there they had an original mustang bass for like 800 it was in pretty good condition too. I always go in there and end up falling inlove with a nice bass I cant afford.

16. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    I always try to buy local, but it's always much more of a hassle. I put in requests to get equipment, and never get a call back, so I go somewhere else... and if I try and like something local, then the sales-person ends up being a douche then I'll also take my biz online. You should always try what you wantbefore you buy it though...always

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You know you're happy with the make and model, so I say go with MF. They have a 45 day trial period, apparently with no restocking fee for guitars priced less than $2000.

I buy without trying all the time... sometimes even without having tried the make and model. But if it would make you feel better to try the exact bass you'll be buying, then go ahead and pay more to support your local brick'n'mortar store.

18. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    This is enticing. I love saving money anyways.

19. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    /bump

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Online store like MF. If ones allready tried and liked them in stores. And you regard the brand as one with high QC. Then theres no reason not to buy one online. So long as its store with good satisfaction gaurantee.