1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy in Metro Detroit and luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mkandolf, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Hoping this is the right forum for this :bag:

This past year I was playing DB on a rented instrument for a local theater guild musical and helping out in a high school musical.

I hadn't played the DB in many years and surprised myself how quickly I picked it back up. And completely amazed at how much I now realize I miss playing it. I mean the electrics are nice but since there's fun to be had in my area (NE of Detroit) playing the DB, I'm gassed to get one again. So crazy that I'm thinking of selling my bass t-bone to get it.

I'm on a tight budget and am would be satisfied with a Swingmaster from Engelhardt or something similar. Can anyone in the Metro Detroit area tell me of a good shop and luthier in the area, prefereably NE Metro Detroit area. But if I've got to drive, then I've got to drive.

Thank you for your time!

2. I don't plat the DB but I do noodle on the violin and Rob Wilson did a very good job servicing my old fiddle. check here:
    http://www.wilsonfineviolins.com/

Josh

3. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Cocoa, FL
    If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Kevin Flannery is in Grand Rapids and does amazing repair/restoration work as well as buying and selling instruments. He should be in the phone book or you could probably contact him through the Grand Rapids Symphony, where is is an active member of the bass section.

Good luck!

4. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    JDB and ArenW,

Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention I work in Troy and Wilson Fine Violins is a5 minutes from where I work. I'll have to give him a phone call and stop by soon. Thanks both for the info again!

Mike

5. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Also in Grand Rapids is www.guarnerihouse.com and in Lansing elderly.com.

The former has an unbelievable stock of double basses, and the latter always has a couple of good low-priced ones on hand.

6. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    J.D.B. - Just wanted to let you know I finally stopped in at Wilsons today over lunch. They had a real nice laminated bass in there in the price range I was looking for that played really nice. Something from the 1980's Germany.

They also (2 guys waiting on me!) showed me one of their home built electric 5-string uprights. Great workmanship. I don't think I will have any problems buying from this shop.

Thanks again for the input.