Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to buy old JB or Sting Ray in NYC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mozzzz, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mozzzz

mozzzz

Mar 16, 2005
    Hi, i'm russian. My friend's going to visit NYC next week. Could you tell me where he can find good choice and real prices for Fender JB (more the 200 yeares old) or new Erny Ball? I tried to find smth. Couldn't.

Russian bear ;)

2. 48th street. You should be able to find whatever you want there.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    You ain't gonna find JBs that vintage. :D
    Expect to pay big dollars in 48th street. :bawl:
    Maybe some New Yorkers can recommend a better place.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I live i NY and I know some good places in NYC to get some good vintage stuff. BUT the best place you can go for vintage is Manies on 48th almost every instrument in their is vintage.

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    A jazz bass that's 200 yeares old is very expensive... ;)

6. mozzzz

mozzzz

Mar 16, 2005
    Well, i've found thier site http://www.mannysmusic.com
    It's too expensive, isn't it?

Guyes, help me please, our prices for basses here in Moscow are toooooooo high. :crying:

7. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Unfortunately Manny's site does not list what used/ vintage basses they have in stock. I know they had a couple of vintage peices in, these past few weeks, but they are fairly expensive... Like all the stores on 48th. you might want to try here as well http://www.guitarboutique.com/index.html
    not that it will be nesecerily (sp?) less but they might have what you want.
    - Tom

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I am sorry to throw the wrench in to this thread but 48th Street is probably the worst place to buy vintage gear

Rudys has a great bass room but is way way overpriced

Manny's is owned and operated by Sam Ash. The vintage dealer there charges top top $$.

Sam Ash on 48th Street is an absolute dump. The bass dept was in bad shape.

I would suggest :
    Matt Umanov on Bleeker ST
    30th Street Guitars ..west 30th between 7th & 8th
    Joey G Guitars..a must see
    NY Guitar And Bass 9th Ave and about 49th st.
    Sadowsky is in Brooklyn one stop outside Manhattan on the F line.
    There are also a few good dealers in Conn and NJ.
    G Guitars in Conn comes to mind.
    Good luck.

9. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    FWIW...
    as another option, You might do better outside of the city meaning take a 40 min. ride to long island and check out guitar center, not that they are sooo great but I picked up my 79 P bass there for a very reasonable price. depending on what they have at the time you might be happy you did.
    - Tom

10. Just another thought.... When cruising 46th street , keep your eyes open for guys carrying instruments - Often you can find instruments before they get from the previous owner to the store. I have friends that got some really amazing stuff by being in the right place at the right time ...

11. I always thought rudy's was THE place to go for basses...but I could be wrong...and whenever I go in there I don't have enough money for anything....I just like playing the basses I can't afford :smug: ...anywho ask around when you get to NYC, believe me if you can't find what you're looking for there, chances are you won't be able to find it anywhere...and another thing, enjoy your trip!!! I go there every weekend and it never gets old :D

12. There is also a new Guitar center on 14th street in Union Square, and if you don't mind a little train ride there is another guitar center in Queens besides the 48th suggestions.

I went to 48th the other day, Sam Ash had absolute garbage, Manny's is a little better but like someone said overpriced and neither place puts any effort into the bass room. I literally sat there in the bass room by myself for 20 minutes, no one even came in to say Hi or see if I was bashing the instruments or anything. If you're looking to play an instrument set up to any sort of specification look elsewhere; it was evident no truss rod had been adjusted in a LONG time, old strings, an just a general "who cares" attitude towards these basses. Rudy's is way better, lots of high end stuff, a dedicated guy behind the bass counter (don't expect star treatment but atleast it's someone) and the instruments are set up really well, not to mention there aren't 20 guitar players either shredding or bashing away at power chords within earshot.

13. mozzzz

mozzzz

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks a lot!!!
    Well, i decided to phone Rudy. Hope i'll solve this problem. And guys, i'm surprized of your helping me. I really wish you good ideas and grooves with your basses.

Bear.

А по-русски: Парни, спасибо большое. Надеюсь, что решу эту проблему!! И дай нам всем Бог!

Медвежонок.

14. Hello, Bear
    If you yourself were going to NYC, I would be happy to point you to 48th Street. It's an excellent place to try basses, but unless you're a member of the mafia or in the oil business, don't buy anything there because the prices are terrible. Calling "Rudy" himself won't get you a better deal...those things are expensive.
    30th Street is OK, but they don't list any of the good stuff on their 'Net site; you have to drop in in person to find the good stuff.
    The problem is, you're looking in the single most expensive place in the US to buy the most expensive basses on the market. New Ernie Ball basses commonly run, at most, $1,200 USD and 20-year-old Jazz Basses (I assume that was a mis-type) can cost twice that much or much less, depending on the source.
    Good luck, and you groove on too, sir.

15. I was on visiting in Jersey last month. I made the rounds on 48th street Rudy's was the best. Clean professional amazing looking inventory. Pricy but cool.

The rest were just over priced some of the places did not even bother to clean up the peaces I mean filthy ruff looking stuff at premium prices.