Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to Buy Online Kitchen Crap???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone? amazon just uses macy's, and holy crap, they're expensive. i'd try the local kitchen supply houses in the city, but holy crap, they're strangely expensive, too!

anyone?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I spent several years as a chef. What are you looking for?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Target has kitchen stuff, so does Wal-Mart. I'm thinking you may be wanting more than your average "discout retailer" has to offer though. :D

I've bought online from kitchenemporium.com, shopping.com, metrokitchen.com, and QVC.

-Mik

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I collect fiesta pottery and got alot of it off of ebay! But that is such a generic answer. Tell me what youre looking for i will see if i can help.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

just a simple 4 piece set w/ nice weighty chef's knife, pairing knife, any extra util knife, and the ol' steel in a cheap butcher's block. sorta like my goto knife set. i wanna go wustoff, but got any suggestions?

7. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Dude seriously get them on eBay! Those are great knifes and what I use all the time! They are high I will admit but you will love them when you get them. Get the one with the best chefs knife. If you get them used then just take them down to a local knife sharpener. 5 bucks a knife they are new again!
    Nice to see a person that knows a good knife!:hyper:

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
  9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    If you buy a brand like henckels make sure that it is the upper line! I think its like pro series. They are damn nice as well!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really, ebay?

i mean, would i want to know where they've been, or what they've been cutting. :eyebrow:

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You can get them new on ebay! As long as they werent used to kill a person i think you would be ok! :eek:

But yeah if they are used just get them worked on. You can always boil them. But never put those types of knifes in the dish washer!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There are certain things in life that I want to make sure I get brand new. Items that come in contact with the food I put in my mouth would be an instance of this.

Buy yourself a brand new set of Henkels. Sure, they are spendy, but they DEFINITELY qualify as "go-to knives". My wife and I use the five star series. Plus, all the cool people on FoodTV use Henkels. :D

-Mike

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Then what ever you do never go into a resturant and ask them were they got there knives at! LOL:eek:

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm a fan of Wusthof also. :cool: I got a bunch of knives at Cutlery and More and got a good deal on Grand Prix knives, because now Wusthof has Grand Prix II. I did a ton of comparison in person, and thought Grand Prix was the same quality...top of the line. Their sale started months ago, so some stuff is gone, but there's still a great selection. Anyway, here's the link.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/grandprix.htm

There are great individual pieces and sets. Make me jealous and get the 7pc Santoku block set!!!

Marshall

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, good stuff, eric,

yea, seems like alot of these places are overstock / stock clearance / bought in crazy bulk deals.

already eyeing some stuff. btw, any experience w/ santoku knives?

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've tested them in fancy kitchen stores like Williams-Sonoma. They're nice for thin slices and dicing veggies because the slices don't stick to the blade so you can work a bit faster. Not necessary but cool!

Marshall

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

that 7 piece set is looking mighty tempting!

18. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah they are nice for certain foods. The air holes on the blade keep certain things from sticking to it. But small things that you chop up like garlic still sticks. But its the shape more than anything with those. I find it a little harder to control myself but doesnt mean you wont like them. If ya get one get a large one for a chef.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is more commonly called a granton edge, Mr. Chef. :eek:

-Mike

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i am lucky to remember my last name some days!:)