Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy Peavey Cirrus...PeaveyMag or Musicians Friend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 30, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ok, I'm trying to decide which is the best place to buy my new Cirrus. I can try having my local dealer order one, but if there aren't any available, I want other options. What is the availability, anyone know?

There is www.peaveymag.net which allows you to order through different dealer sites. The one for my local shop says they have them in stock, but I read that someone said that might be a load of crock.. Then there is Musicians Friend. They have the one I want in stock, and free ground shipping. But I've never ordered a guitar through MF. Drums yes..guitar no. I'm alittle worried. I don't want to get one thats all out of wack or damaged. Does anyone have experience with ordering a bass through MF? I know they have a 45 day return, but I've also read bad reviews about their service when dealing with returns. I've bought a ton of stuff from them and only once did I have a problem getting something, but I've never returned anything.

Anyone's feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Well, i have NO experience with either...however i did read alot of bad stuff on their feedback on ebay.
    Dunno if that helps any.

*edit* thats Musicians Friends feedback im talkin about...forgot to mention :p

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  4. if you go to the peavey site and find the one you want go through the buy it now process. you enter your zip code and then it will give you a list of local dealers that have or can get the item. then pick the dealer you want to go with and call them or give them a visit. I would always try to buy it from a local place or a place like bass central or bass northwest before I would go with a place like musiciansfriend.

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea there are two dealers in my area who deal with Peavey. Neither of them have any cirri in stock. I was just trying to look for an alternative source for one rather than having to wait like 3 months for the music store to get one in the combo that I want, if Peavey doesn't have any in stock.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea musiciansfriend has had much bad things said about them so i wouldnt go with them necesarily, if you have another option.

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i've bought stuff from musiciansfriend and i've returned stuff as well.
    never had any problems.

in fact, i was kinda worried that their return policy was too relaxed, what if i bought something and received a product that was abused and then returned by someone else??? (ala Guitar Center)

but no problems yet.

if you're gonna do mail order, i'd look around though... i found mine used (but mint) on gguitars.com (they don't have any right now) but you might find a great deal elsewhere if you look around.

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I actually ordered a set of drums from them and everything was cool.

The only problem was the UPS guy left them in the middle of my driveway..yeesh. Well atleast he left them at the right house instead of across the street like Fedex keeps doing.

9. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    i would buy it from the shop near you....im going to get a peavey cirrus 5 thats $1200 over here...good deal guys?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Always go with the local shop if given a choice. Its worth paying a little more to get local service and consideration.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea thats definately a good deal. The price I've seen for 5'ers are almost $1500