where to buy shielding materials locally?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by telekaster, Dec 19, 2005.

1. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Before going the internet route, where can I get my hands on some copper tape (or paint)? I tried Lowes (like home depot) and only found aluminum tape.

Should I try an art strore? I know there are some real electronics stores around here, but I was wondering if I could get this stuff at a more common place, like Wal-Mart or Radio Shack...

2. your local stained glass shop has some copper foil w/ sticky side.
  3. Lowes (or Home Depot) should have some thin copper sheets, I saw them in the roofing repair area--although they're not self-adhesive, the price seemed reasonable.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could also go and buy some of that aluminum tape at a car section. It doesn't have conductive impregnated adhesive, so you would need to run some solder to connect individual pieces, but it would work quite well.
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002

Mostly "crafts stores" or hobby shops, and they charge much less than the places that sell the exact same stuff to guitar geeks. I got enough adhesive backed copper foil to do about three basses, $7. Stewmac http://stewmac.com also carries it and their prices aren't too bad. Shipping isn't too cheap, though I'm sure that you could find more parts to fill out an order. BTW, I use their conductive shielding paint and it works very well.
  6. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to stop over at Carvin during lunch today and pick up a couple of their shielding kits. I forget about Carvin sometimes and they're only 10 minutes away (or an hour in traffic!). The kits are only $10 and come with wire and solder. Not too bad...