Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy tires online?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 3, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey! Does anyone have any experience buying tires online. Consumer Reports said that you can typically find them cheaper online and I'm having trouble finding the size I need (265/70/15) locally for a decent price.

So...any suggestions for cheap internet sites?

brad cook

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    It's not on-line, but price-wise it's awesome: Costco
    and they don't do the "add $2 for this and $3.50 for this, etc. per tire" until it's double the price.

5. My drummer strongly suggests Tire Rack. When he put his Neon on rims :rolleyes: , he found that they had the best prices in his form factor and amazing selection all around.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yep, another vote for Tirerack here.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions ya'll! Looks like tire rack does indeed have the best selection and pricing. I'm probably going to get some Yokohama Geolander H/TS's. After reading a lot of reviews they seem to be great bang for the buck. Not the absolute cheapest but not too much more than the cheapest.

These are going on my Nissan Xterra. Before all you anti's jump on me I do indeed drive it off-road regularly on our family's land and I use that ample cargo space at least once a week. :p I can't believe I just took time to justify that. :rolleyes:

Anyway...do any of you have any experience with the Yokohama SUV tires? Like I said I've read a lot of good and no bad. With the other choices I am considering I found plenty of detractors even among the ones that had lots of proponents but with these I've found none and Consumer Reports gave the predecessor to the Geolander H/TS tires (the H/T's) a really good review. They seem well made. Anyone have reviews of any Yokohama SUV tires? (please...no reviews of the "phat yoko's" that your "boi" put on his suped up Toyota Echo with the 10" diameter tailpipe...thanks! ;) )

brad cook

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't guess Tire Rack needs any further endorsement, but here it is, anyway :)

I buy wayyy more than my share of tires, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Can't comment on those specific tires, but my experience with Yokahamas has been positive. My car is wearing some, now, in fact. ;)

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No experience with Yoko SUV's but my boi Ronn-e' had some phat Yoko's" on his Echo. It's a mad ride, ezpecially wit that tight 10" tailpipe...

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Couldn't resist, could ya, Brad? :)

Maybe your boi could race PeteyMac's roommate's phat Neon!

brad cook

11. I am insulted by the very suggestion that I would live with a drummer. :mad:

;)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Ronn-e' would smack P-to-the-M's boi's "Ne-off" on the bing bong.

Tally ho!

That's right... I am one hep cat, dudes

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Certainly not out of wedlock.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one more endorsement for tire rack. even the shipping is cheap and FAST!

as for tires, i LOVED my kumho ecsta supra 712s on my scirocco 16v, but they're not so good in the snow. i love my dunlop spsport 5000's on my 240sx almost as much, and they're even good in snow.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oops! I was in a hurry. I was on company time and I don't want to get fired. Oh sorry, Pete...didn't mean to bring up bad memories. ;)
    Or are those good memories?

brad cook

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Quite so, old chap. Box 'is bleedin' ears, 'e would. Give 'em a bit 'o the ole fisticuffs. Rip 'is bollocks right off, now. Tear 'im a new one at tea time, I say. Right you are.

brad cook

now THAT'S hip

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, I ordered and received the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S's from Tire Rack and I couldn't be happier with the product and service. I ordered them on Tuesday and had them on my car by Friday at a great price! My first experience with FedEx ground, by the way, and it rules!! It was about twice as fast as UPS ground and about 6 or 7 bucks less. I'm going to use them whenever possible from now on.

Thanks again for the suggestions all.

brad cook

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Congrats all around. I need to order some tires for my Fiat Spyder convertible... they're not easy to find.

Come on Spring:D