where to buy vintage or aged/relic parts/hardware..?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Smooth_bass88, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Where's the best place to purchase vintage and/or aged/relic vintage style parts for 60s Fenders? I'm looking for hardware (pickguard screws, threaded bridge saddles, strap button for headstock, etc.). Reverb and eBay don't seem have the selection I need. Thanks in advance.

2. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Madison (guitars?) on eBay used to have a number of relic'd parts - eBay in general can turn these things up but it's hit & miss as to when. Real vintage parts can be quite pricey - 60's tort pg's are posted for around $600 if you can believe that. Same with bridges and tuners. You can determine authentic vintage parts like a bridge or tuners (or pg) but I can imagine screws being pretty hard to know where (or when) they came from. Tread cautiously.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have no clue how to age chrome, gold, or black finishes; for nickle you're in luck.
    If you're willing to use reproduction hardware you can age it yourself. Use an abrasive to remove plating in spots where you want heavy wear. Place the items in a rock tumbler to get the fine surface scratches you want. Once that is done Use a 40% solution of Iron Chloride to to obtain the patina desired.
    Rock tumbler available here Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
    Iron Chloride available here Welcome

Do not disassemble parts when doing this process. If you do then the parts will be uniformly worn, not good. When the parts are on the instrument there are little cracks and crevices that are protected from wear simply because they are assembled. You want to duplicate that as much as possible, so leave your parts assembled. Use a coarse abrasive in the tumbler, a finer abrasive gets too far into the cracks and crevices. Try to get the heavy wear, light scratches, and patina to be consistent (i.e. if you have light wear and heavy scratching it won't look right, or no wear and heavy scratching again it will be discordant.) Finally there are some parts you don't want to scratch up, like the tuner ferrels they are pretty well protected and don't see much wear, but a nice touch if you can swing it is to chip one of the ferrels plating and have that chip as exposed as possible after assembled. The idea is to make the ferrel or capstan appear to have received a blow at some point that chipped the plating off. Be advised you'll never be able to duplicate authentic wear. There will always be telltale signs of artificial aging, for instance you'll never get the capstans looking right to the trained eye.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  4. Smooth_bass88

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Thanks guys, great info here.

5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    MJT sells aged hardware

6. Smooth_bass88

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    ...bumpin' this. Really looking for a set of either vintage or aged/relic threaded bridge saddles for my pre-CBS Jazz. The original bridge is there, but someone replaced the saddles with 70s style ones. Work fine, but I want it to be 'correct'. I'm considering buying a set of new ones and aging them myself, but if anyone knows who sells just the saddles aged/relic/ or vintage I'd be super psyched. Many places sell the entire bridge, but I'd like to avoid that. Hey, thanks!

7. Smooth_bass88

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Oh, and also, MJT won't just sell the saddles.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
  9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Bass Parts Resource :: Bass Saddles

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  10. Smooth_bass88

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021