1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to buy wide 6 string neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TrustRod, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Hi, I'm looking for a 6 string neck to make a body for. I see the Warmoth Gecko and the Keisel neck through but those both have narrow bridge spacing. Is there anyone who sells a pre made neck for a 6 that will give 18-19mm bridge spacing?

Thanks.

2. No disrespect, but why do you need a "wide" spacing?

3. Normal reasons of that's what the eventual owner wants. I don't understand why you would ask that.

SlingBlader likes this.
  4. I was just wondering if you'd tried a narrow spaced 6 string bass?

5. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I know when Kiesel was Carvin you could get a wide spaced 5 neck for an upcharge, you could also get a 35.5" scale for an upcharge. You could send them a message and ask, worst they can do is say no.

6. I get it I prefer wider spacing as well. It is more comfortable for my hands.

7. I saw a FB live with the Keisel guys a few weeks ago and he said that they wouldn't be doing parts orders for much longer and would no longer do any customized parts orders (i.e. Necks). I don't know if they implemented those changes or not.

8. Why? Have you not seen people with different tastes?

9. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I think that why Rev is asking is that the common reasons people want a wide spaced 5 or 6 string don't actually require the wide spacing and that wide spacing can be hindrance because of the wider neck required, but there's no accounting for taste, personally I have found I prefer 4s and very narrow spaced 5s, so it's certainly valid to ask if anyone makes a wide spaced 6 string neck.

10. Hi Trussrod, I think I might have come off the wrong way. :) I know parts of TB can be slightly abrasive, but luthiers corner is a happy place where we regularly push one another in friendly sorts of ways. I genuinely meant no offence by my question. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

Anyhow, I guess the reason I was asking is I've played both wide and narrow spaced 6 strings (5 and 4 strings) and found narrow spacing to be as good as wide. On that basis I was just wondering if you could live with narrow seeings it's easily available from a few suppliers. However, if not, I know a bunch of us would be happy to help here if you decide to try building you're own wide spaced neck. It's a lot easier than you think. :)

Hope that's more helpful. Have a great day. :thumbsup:

11. Thanks rev. I prefer < 16mm, my friend who wants help building a bass likes full spacing. I was hoping someone might be able to point me to someone who sells necks like that. I built my first neck in the '80s and have 4 in production right now, I don't have the desire to build this one. Thanks to all who have posted suggestions helping me find that. It's for a simple J style to compliment this bass I made in the early '90s

Will_White and reverendrally like this.
  12. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Will pickups be an issues with 19mm string spacing on a 6 string?

13. No, it's a pretty standard spec for 6 strings to be 18 or 19mm. Yamaha, Pedulla, Smith, Fodera and many more use it. You just have to get the right ones.

rwkeating likes this.