Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DaS HaaS, Feb 12, 2004.

1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    Does anyone know where i can buy some wuud on the internet to make bass guitar body. I already know of Warmouth, but was wondering if there were any websites that sold some nice wood in the size that I need to make a very nice bass body. Also if you have any tips on building a bass I'd greatly appreciate it...thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Post this in the Luthier forum, they're always talking wood.

3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Carvin sells a body sized chunk.

I have a bass with a neck made by Karl Hoyt. I know that he'd purchased wood on eBay.

5. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    that's a fact, billy! (and Hi by the way) here's the rub: I have all the tools necessary to re-saw and laminate wood into the finished shape. If you have such tools, E-Bay can be a good resource: I've gotten some nice claro walnut, curly red maple, spalted maple etc from B&D hardwoods in oregon.

however, if you have only basic tools, you may want to consider something like Gallery Hardwoods. they can machine the stuff to your specifications, (though you do pay more for it)

another GREAT resource for electric guitar/bass wood is Luthier's Mercantile (www.lmii.com) they have woods prepared for luthiers (and aspiring luthiers) and a good custom millwork shop. since all they do is lutheiry wood, they'll help you with your needs: they'll slot and radius your fingerboard for reasonable doe (two especially crummy jobs in lutheiry)

have fun:

Karl Hoyt

p.s.......... check out your local cabinet makers and millwork shops. you can get wood from them sometimes: I have built alot of electric guitars from 'cutoffs' from big planks of mahhogany, ash, etc. Cutoffs are the pieces of wood that are takken off the end of a plank: rather than throwing them in the fire, they'll sell them to you for a few bucks in many cases. some places are glad not to have to make a dump run with them and will give you the wood!

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved...

7. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    Thanks for all the help. Do you know of any sites that can give me pointers in building my bass body? I plan on building just the body and buying the neck form somewhere like warmouth.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, whoever is going to sell you your neck will probably be the first place to talk to, to get the proper dimensions for your neck heel/cutaway. other than that, though, and it's pretty much up to you, other than making sure you have enough room for proper bridge placement and whatever electronics you would like.

9. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    wood ?

you can get wood - believe it or not -
    on friggin' ebay (LOL)

honest tho, purpleheart or lignum vitae -
    - and heck, everything in between
    most are for art projects -
    too small -
    but sometimes . . . . . . .

I bought a couple pieces of true gaboon ebony -