Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy your first bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Growler, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So, I've been silently following the various threads about getting a bass. And I was thinking along the lines of a Fender standard jazz (MIM) or an ibanez 200. Really depending on the price and how they actually sounded when I heard them played in the store. I figured on limiting the total purchase price of everything (bass, amp, bag etc..) to no more than $500, but lesser is always better.

So I searched around on the internet for guitar shops, and the only one I could find in the area was a GuitarCenter. Headed in today around 2pm, and it was like a rock concert in there. Maybe three people working and about 100 teenages playing away. Kinda doubted that most of them were there to buy something, but who knows. I found a salesman, who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but had to finish up with a customer and be right back in 5minutes. 30min later, I had had enough of waiting around and took off.

Should I head back to GC or try to find some smaller shop? They had pretty good prices, but it seemed a bit uncomfortable, and the help was awful. A shame when you're ready to spend $$$ but they don't want it.

Any ideas? Do I go back? Look for somewhere else? I'm in the SanJose area and any help would be appreciated.

-Growler

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Well, if you see an axe you can't live without, plug it in and jam with all the 12 year olds. Smaller shops have the better service, but the selection can be dismal to non-existant. You might just buy one piece at a time, then you can try out all the amps of interest, or all the basses of interest that day. And weekends are bad, usually they're for looking and not buying.

3. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Go to Guitar Center on a Monday night around 7:30 PM. Weekends, they hold Metallica tryouts.

Go to Guitar Showcase and get ready to be amazed. It is in San Jose and they have tons of nice stuff. Make sure to walk around and go into every room. Their private collection is GASius maximus. Guitars you never thought you'd see. :eek:

4. Check out Music Unlimited in Hayward. GREAT Bass selection, knowledgable staff. The sticker pricing is a bit higher than GC, but they'll definitely move on the pricing when you've got cash in hand. Good luck!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want to try out a bass without having to compete with the younguns, go to a small shop. Or go to Guitar Center right after they open, on a school day.

I am moving this to our Miscellaneous forum.

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Guitar Showcase was also recommended as a good place to go.

The problem with "trying out a bass" is, when you can't play one to start with, then "trying one out" is kinda tough. I rely on the salesman to play it (basic scales is good enough for me), while i just test it out for weight, size, balance.

Thanks
    Growler

7. If you are going to go to GC, go early in the morning on Sunday or Monday. No one is there, and especially on Sunday they should have a large crew. Ask to talk to an Assisstant Manager, they have been at GC for the longest.

Also, talk the price down. Ask for small consessions, like a free strap or cable, or whatever. You can end up saving quite a bit, but the guy on the other side of the counter still ends up with a good sale.

My favorite combo to sell:

Yamaha RBX100, Fender Bassman 25 watt, gig bag, stand, strap, 21 foot monster cable and a set of D'addario strings.

Full price is $515. I would sell it at $430, and the customer always went home happy, and with good gear.

In case you didn't know, I worked for GC for a year and a half. Just quit recently to go back to school (I'm in my 3D drafting class, being bored by intro lectures)

Rock on
    Eric:ninja: