Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jackson E, Mar 11, 2005.

1. I am thinking of building a bass body and I would like to use afzelia. I am wondering where I could buy a body blank of this kind of wood and also how much it would cost. Thanks for the help.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't see much of that stuff in my travels. Try woodfinder.com

3. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    You should be able to find Afzelia Burl at Righteous Woods near Boston somewhere. I've used them for years for my burl. Great to do business with. If you are looking for plain wood, not burl, Afzelia is sometimes referred to as Narra or Doussie. I have a few 8/4 boards of nicely figured Doussie that I was saving for a few guitar tops that I could show you.....You can also get Afzelia from Gilmer.

http://www.righteouswoods.com/burls.html

Here is a pic of some afzelia burl from Righteous Woods.....I hope.

4. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I forgot to mention cost. I bought this 8/4 slab from Righteous and it was @$265....It is big enough to BM panels for a Strat sized guitar. Figure on @ $18 per lb.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Is a burl slab like that structurally sound enough to use for an unlaminated body?

6. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    That all depends on the burl, but I wouldn't recommend it in most cases. I know several builders that have used solid redwood burl for bodies, but have never heard the instruments themselves....I've used Afzelia Burl for about 10 years and I wouldn't think it would make a great body. Afzelia burl may be structurally strong enough, but its tonal characteristics would leave a question in my mind. It has a very weird texture and reminds me of clay for some reason! Although, Doussie is a fine lumber that is highly sought after by high end art furniture makers.......If it were my project, I'd do a BM or 1 piece Afzelia burl face on a body of something like Honduras Mahogany, Spanish Cedar or plain old Swamp Ash....Actually, Padauk might be a nice choice, both cosmetically and tonally.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, Righteous will occasionally have it in burl form if you can spare the dough. I have not been there in quite some time but Steve is a trip to deal with. Regular afzelia lumber is not so easy to come by in the states (maybe Warwick uses it all up). Larry at gallery might have some burl, too.

Gilmer lists Narra as a pterocarpus (padauk, et al.) and not afzelia, so try to get a look before you buy and see if what you think you're getting is what you really want.

If you're shooting for a Warwick vibe, ovangkol (shedua) and bubinga are both much, much easier to come by.

8. Thanks for all of your help, I hope to start the body soon. It all depends on money and time, but again thank you all.