Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to Buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mf4787, May 7, 2003.

1. Guitar Center

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Sam Ash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Independent Retailer

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Internet

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. mf4787

mf4787

Apr 30, 2003
    Hey -- Was wondering where people think the best place to go for for a new amp is, considering cost, selection, convenience, service, etc?

2. Assuming he has what I want, I always buy at OB Fawley's in Morgantown WV. Why? Service. On 2 different occasions I've had equipment fail and he gave me a loaner until mine was returned. My next choice is Swissvale music in Pittsburg. They handle a more boutiquish line of stuff and I can try it out. If that fails then I usually go to BassCentral.com and deal with Garth. I've also had good experiences with Musiciansfriend and Sam Ash.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Why on earth would you buy a new amp? Used is the ONLY way to go, unless you're looking for something that's so obscure that it doesn't show up on the used market.

USED! :D

4. If nobody every bought anything new than well, what would you have to buy?:(

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    nothing, but like that's ever going to happen. there's always going to be people that would rather spend 2x on things that are shiny.

AND you have a good point in your previous post, sometimes it's VERY worth it for the service. Although you'd think that for the amount of money i've passed through BassNW they'd give me even better service than they do... :)

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Buy from your local store!!! If people don't support the small stores and the mom and pops places they will all fold. From what I've seen if you give the smaller store a real price from the big guys they will beat it or match it. Thier is something to be said about service also. I find it alot more convinent to walk into the store and say I need tihis, or this is going bad can you help me vs. sending an e-mail

7. Some things I have no problem with buying used. The bass I play is 2nd hand and I had no problem buying it that way. Amps on the other hand are just more problem prone. I need a place to raise hell if it goes down. If however you can get something for 1/2 what it would cost new (street price) then it is worth the risk. I just read a post where a buyer got a used item from ebay for $335 shipped. Retail for that item is about $550 so it seems like a good deal. However, that same item (real price) is $399 shipped brand new from any number of Etailers. I personally would rather pay the extra $64 and a bright shinny new item than one that has been returned or scratched, or dented, or whatever. I do like your philosophy van about never paying more for something than you know you can turn around and sell it for. In that way, you never have to justify you purchase.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :confused:

Who???

:D

I definitely believe in supporting the local shop, when at all possible...lucky for me, my local shop is Bass Central! ;)

Oh, and thanks for the nod GreyBeard, even though you got my name wrong!

9. Sorry Garth.....I mean Gard..:D

10. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Check out Bass Northwest. http://www.bassnw.com

Huge selection of used and new gear. Very nice and knowledgable sales folks. Great prices and quick delivery.

Can you tell that I've bought from them before? :D

11. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    hmm... has anyone had any experience with www.riksmusic.com? They seem to offer good prices for GK stuff (you have to email them for a quote though), but just wondering how good they actually are. :) Also, I've noticed that many stores don't carry Hartke gear (GC or MF for instance). Besides zzounds (how're they?), know of any reputable Hartke sellers? Thanks!!

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I order from zzounds a lot, they're great. They're in stock figures are reliable, they'll price match, and in stock stuff ships from NJ same day if you order before 4pm est.
    I live in NY, and if I place an order for something in stock with them I get it the next day, and don't have to pay the sales tax!

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Nightbass bought an Aggie 115 from Riks when they were blowing out their Aguilar gear. I believe he was happy with the transaction.

I've purchased an instrument from Zzounds. I didn't end up keeping it and the return experience was snag-free. I'd recommend them.

Sam Ash sells Harke as does a semi-local Music Go Round.

I prefer buying used gear for the price aspect. I did buy my PLX 2402 new but I got such a great price from Life Effects Pro Audio (in OK) that I didn't even consider a used amp...plus they ordered it with custom sensitivity directly from QSC and I had it in about a week...great service.

On the other hand, if you get lucky, you can snag some nice new gear at Guitar Center when they have a semi-annual list sale. I bought two new basses last fall at 70% off list each.

It's unlikely that most local shops have a huge selection, but if your's does, give 'em first shot. Service after the sale is a good thing to have...

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If the local shop has what I want and has it for a reasonable price then I'll shop there. But since no one in this area or tampa area carries Eden, my next major purchase will have to be done at Bass Central 2 hours away. But well worth it, cos the staff there is quite nice and are one of the few places that encourage you to play stuff even when you tell them flat out, you're not buying anytime soon.