Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find 70s SVT for decent price??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basonsubatomia, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    I'm looking into getting an old SVT and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it would be... I've checked eBay and there's one on every week or so, but they range from $1000 for beat up (yet apparently "recently serviced") ones to $1600 for a near-mint one... any other ideas???

-Jason

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah it seems like almost all the old SVTs on ebay have been "recently reserviced" I wouldnt believe it unless I saw a service receipt. Call some local pawn shops and the like. Thats where a lot of great stuff can be found but sometimes you need patience. One will turn up eventually.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm not positive about the name, but there's a magazine out called "Vintage Guitar Trader" (or something like that) and you may find resources in there also.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you have knowledge of electronics and truly understand all about the dangers involved (the innards of an SVT can KILL you), you could look for a diamond in the rough and fix it up yourself.

A few years ago, a local shop had a '73 that needed serious help...controls were scratchy, preamp tubes were shot, it was filthy, etc. I bought it for $250. A hundred bucks and some sweat equity later, it was a fine looking, fine sounding amp.

5. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    I've looked locally quite a few times, and the general concensus around the used gear/pawn shops is that they don't really see any old SVTs... maybe it's just where I live... I'll try the vintage trader magazine.

A diamond in the rough *could* work... I know a little about electronics and tube hardware... although I could always take it to a tech.