Where to find a band that needs a bass player?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LuckyScott, Jul 7, 2019.

1. I've had good luck with Craigslist in the past but have not seen anything good for a while.
    Back in the old days I used to use Music Connection magazine, and the Recycler.
    Is there another place to look for bands that are looking for a bass player?

I know there is a section here on
    TalkBass but I am looking for More.

2. Find a band you like. Frame the bass player for a major crime. They'll need a sub until he gets out.

I've had some luck with Craigslist.

danesdad, Bozendoka, Supadope and 3 others like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    CL, Bandmix, open mics, talking to other musicians. I've had several opportunities because people knew of my abilities and willingness to learn tunes. When an opening came up, they contacted me.

Wisebass, lfmn16, TheDayMan and 3 others like this.
  4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm a firm believer that some of the best opportunities come from networking with fellow musicians. Go to local shows. Go to the open mics. Go to the music stores. Go anywhere else that musicians are hanging out and get to know them.

TheDayMan, lat, garp and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Yes. Meeting people face-to-face has a far greater impact than e-mail. Open mics can feel like a waste of time, but you'll learn a lot more about what's going on in your local music scene.

Wisebass and garp like this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What Warpeg said. Also get some business cards. Network and hand them out. Music stores usually have a bulletin board.

Wisebass and garp like this.
  7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Absatootley. There's something to be said for pounding the pavement and making real connections.

8. I just set up a bandmix account and have been contacted by a couple situations.

Kro likes this.
  9. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Since this is in the "Bass Humor" section, if there's a busy intersection near a music store...

[​IMG]

(I kid, of course.) :D

Good luck! :thumbsup:

dbase and Wisebass like this.
  10. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Craigslist is good, but you have to watch out for the bands that are all talk, and no talent lol.

11. zon5string

zon5string Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Put your cards up at rehearsal places.

Wisebass, the_home and TheDayMan like this.
  12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Of the services still in use today, I've used both Craigslist and Bandmix with success in the past - to both find a band myself, but also to find individual musicians.

13. TheDayMan

TheDayMan

Jun 7, 2015
    Seattle
    I would think most reasonably populated areas have a local musicians/networking group on Facebook. Also go out a lot. Good old face to face interaction is still relevant. I hooked up with my band because they were playing (not letting the lack of a bass player stop them) with a friends band I was out to see.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Get some business cards and give them to everyone you'd like to play with. I've done that in the past. Just go up to someone in the band (other than the bass player of course), hand them a card and say, "If you ever need a sub, or your bass player leaves, give me a call." I got in a great band that way once and made some good connections.

Jimmy4string and Wisebass like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the notion(s) here seems to be: do something more than look.

who knew? ;)

lfmn16 and Wisebass like this.
  16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Wait! .. that's my line ;)

Wisebass likes this.
  17. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I wouldn't be the bass star I am today without Craigslist. ;)

Heavy Blue and Wisebass like this.
  18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi lfmn16 :)

Absolutely! Business cards are cool!

Why of course? :D yeah, competition I know but..

honestly, I get most of my gigs because I know the bassplayers and they know me.

When you ask me to play and I can' t do the job, I will call somebody I know who is available.

A lot of guys owe me one! ;) Nothing wrong to give your card to the bass player! :thumbsup:

Bandleaders look for musicians that have a good network. That' s how I get gigs.

greetings

Wise

zon5string likes this.
  19. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not everyone is confident in their position in a band. I always say if you think you can steal my position, take your best shot, but I'd be concerned that too many cards handed to other bass players would wind up in the garbage. But that's just me, I've been know to be wrong. :D

Wisebass likes this.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Open mics.

Want to snag a band?

1) Go to an open mic night wearing something other than grass cutting clothes.

2) Find some fellas to jam a song or two with.

3) Get on stage and groove your butt off. Pay attention to what's going on around you. Tie it all together with your bass line. Make a musical bridge between the melodic instruments/vocals and the drums.

4) Smile and be low stress and drama free.

5) Bonus points if you sing some backups.

If there are a few dozen musicians in the room you'll likely be asked for your phone number several times before you leave.

Seriously, go to as many open mic nights as you can. Treat every one of them like an audition for a band you haven't met yet. Network. Be friendly.

Most of all, be HONEST about what you want from a band. For me, there would be no need to get together and jam with a band that wants to rehearse twice a week for months before playing out. So, I can offer to fill in for them if needed and wish them luck with their project. But now they have my number. If their situation changes or the guitar player stays a side project, there I am.

The term we used when I was in sales was "keeping the pipeline filled". What that means is constantly reaching out and making contacts so that weeks and months down the road my phone is ringing constantly. All of my contacts know that I don't play out as much as I used to. But my phone still rings. They call me first and allow me the opportunity to take/turn down the gig. That's a good situation to be in.

Face to face, as others have said. But wewr some jeans and a "cool shirt" even though it's not a real gig. I wanna know what you'll look/act like on stage, not what you'll look/act like while browsing the frozen food section at Walmart.

Supadope, buldog5151bass and Wisebass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021