Where to find a band that needs a bass player?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LuckyScott, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :roflmao:

Stevie Wonder to Miles Davis: Hey man, you' re stealing my best musicians!

Miles Davis: Well, you' re supposed to do that, when you' re on top!

:laugh:

Wise

lfmn16 likes this.
  2. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    CL can be..... Brutal.

I started jamming with a terrible cover band just to see how my new rig sounded. Got more phone numbers from the guys "trying out" than the band got new members.

Didn't feel bad at all monkey branching to a better group of musicians.

So, my take: Even "jamming" with craptastic CL musicians can open doors. A competent bass player is evidently not all that common.

dbase likes this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Go out an buy a big frekin bass amp ... Bands will start calling.. ;)

Supadope likes this.
  4. If i was going to do band again i would Craigslist.
    But fully be the BL and look for all things i learned i want in the next band and make it happen.
    Reading some of your posts -i think you could do the BL part. Except i was kind of the BL in the last band and it takes a lot of dang work!
    Not everyone is down for that -currently I am not !
    :D

Edit to say:
    Things I would look for in a new bad are:
    Good musicians.
    Nice normal people.
    Good harmonies.
    Willing to Dress the part.

dbase likes this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Talking to gigging musicians has been the best way IME.
    CL maybe.

6. Moose22

Moose22

Apr 14, 2019
    Not in San Diego it isn't.

Anyone who can hold his own on bass can find plenty of work here if they hustle. And none of them are willing to jam here, they just want to show up at a gig and leave wit money, so you were probably like a unicorn to those guys at the tryout.

And nobody cares if you branch out. Everyone here is in a handful of bands. It's a strange, incestuous community sometimes. I've gone to see friends play at the Belly Up on those nights where they have 4 or 5 local bands run from 7 to close, and one bass player will be in two or three of them.

Verb the Noun likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I got in two bands via Craigslist... it takes at least 2 years to finally settle down with the right mix of players and get songs down to play out... that is if we can find someplace that we can play. ;)

8. I’ve been playing in gigging bands for over twenty years. I’ve never once gotten a gig or found a musician to fill a vacancy through some musicians wanted listing. Never once. Get out to your live music venues and support local bands. Talk to people in person. Get to know your local musicians. If you’re in a decent sized market you’ll probably find that bands regularly breakup and musicians become available. Also having good gear is a huge plus. Some people like it or not are gear snobs (I admit I am lol) and prefer to play with people who have nice gear.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021