where to find a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 30, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I now want to make a band, but all my friends are unmotivated and stupid and broke, so now i realize joining a band is the way to go. I need to know though, what are some good places (other than local music store) to find bands, or 'bass player wanted' adds?

2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    You could hit some open mike nights, introduce yourself around a bit. And if you do that, stick around for a while after you've jammed, doesn't look that cool to just split after you've jammed. Tip the waiter/waitress too, don't just order one coke and split...
    just my 2 cents...
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hit up some of the local venues where bands play. Get involved in the local music scene.

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA

I got a response after maybe a week. the band was mostly established but there bassist and rythem guitarist split because the lead singer wouldn't fire the drummer to hire the rythem guitarists little brother.

you may find a band like this, or a band tha needs a touring and studio bassist. just make sure you know how to jam, read a chord chart, read music and read or improve everything else, they were blown away by me, because their former bassis was all root.

sorry for the long pointless story.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What was pointless about your experience? Your reply was much better than mine.

6. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Try online band sites and pages. I put up fliers in local music stores and had plenty of calls.
  7. Local music stores would be a great place to start...not sure why you're ruling those out. Put up flyers at the local music stores, and any local venues (if they allow you to).

As far as the idea of open mike nights...it depends what's available in your area. I don't have much experience in this area (my experience is that you get a lot of the singer/songwriter type artists who are more into solo stuff). If you know of a good spot, it wouldn't hurt to show up and hang out. Just talk to people...don't expect to find a band with an opening right away, but you never know...you could run into the friend of a friend who can give you the phone number of someone who IS looking for a bass player.

I've found the most helpful places though are online musician sites. Do a search on google and I'm sure you'll turn up at least one that serves your area. I live in southern Wisconsin (not exactly a huge metropolis), but I can think of three websites off the top of my head where I've gotten responses from in the past when our band was looking for new members.
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i'm not ruling music stores out, i just already know about them.

good suggestions, keep them coming

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  10. Seattle's got one or two free newspaper publications that cater to music, etc in the area and have lots of classified adds for musicians wanted and "wanting". Anything like that up by you?