Where to find a dirt cheap P-bass body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by the ombudsman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. I have a Stew-Mac P-bass neck, and I'd like to get a body to fit it. I looked at Warmoth, but 155$ for an unfinished alder body is a bit pricey, considering you can get a complete SX P-bass for 109$.

Are there sources for ultra-cheap bodies?
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'd keep my eyes on eBay in the "musical instruments - guitars - parts" section.

Although you might consider buying one of the SX basses, using the body, and sell off the parts you don't need to recoup some of the cost of the bass.

3. I have one that is butt ugly. It's pink painted over with black. No name, but it's a P-body.

PM if you are interested.

4. Thanks, Bass Kahuna, I didn't even think of the 'Bay! :p I just found a cool place there that has tons of cheap parts!

Ron, PM sent. :)
  5. I did mention it was butt ugly? Yes? ;)

I PM'ed you back. Happy day!
  6. Well, some butts are actually mighty fine-looking! :D

The body will probably be refinished anyway.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Warp Drive Music usually has a bunch of Mighty Mite P bodies on Ebay. I bought one for $49 unfinished. They usually have finished ones for around $70.

I stained mine with a oak stain, then used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil on it. Total cost less than $60. It is the one in this picture.
  8. Ask some stores whether they can get Dr Parts bodies. I bought a cheap alder jazz bass body a few weeks ago for AUD$90. Note that the neck pocket is close to the standard size but not quite and the body is made from four peices (two center large pieces and two small pieces at the top and bottom).

If you can get a cheap quality one from ebay, that'd be good.
  9. Omsbud, I'm trying to get the pics to you. PM me your e-mail.

10. I didn't receive anything... :(
  11. ???? I'll try again. I'll have to resize them maybe. If no luck, I'l get them out tonite.
  12. Still nothing. :bawl:

I've checked the address I gave you and I even sent a test e-mail to myself. Everything seems fine. :(
  13. Yeah, they're bouncing back to me. Maybe it's my work server. I'll send them from home tonite.

14. Thanks and sorry about the trouble...