Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to find a EUB teacher

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by antinym, Apr 17, 2004.

1. antinym

antinym

Jul 17, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    So, I picked up a NS 5 string EUB. I love the the tone and the instrument, but I'm afraid I have no technique. I play BG, fretless and fretted, I had a teacher who noted no problems with my techique there, but EUB is a complete different matter I'm finding. I need a teacher in the orlando area, obviously I'm not playing classical, no real desire to play arco, but a strong want to play in tune and faster. what do I do?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    In tune? Bow.

Faster? Comes with time and practice.

Find a double bass teacher for technique.

3. Amen. Amen. Amen.

The bowing is really important. My intonation has improved immeasurably since I began practicing with a bow. Playing mostly bluegrass, I doubt if I will ever use a bow in a performance situation but it really makes a difference it the quality of my pizz.

4. Landline

Landline Guest

Jan 14, 2001
    Absolute agreement with Ray and Steve. Learn arco, it's your best investment of time.

I've an NS 4 EUB myself. At first, it took a bit to translate from the more horizontal 'plank' for pizz; The crazy-low action on the NS made this a lot easier but a) I *only* approached it like an uber-sized fretless BG, and b) this translated into a number of bad habits which, y'know, turns into physical pain later on.

When I finally started to learn how to how, it imporved my intonation like nothing else, allowed me to play longer (pain-be-gone), faster and in-tune (the fretting hand needs to be able to keep up) and, well, more tastefully, which nets me far more gig offers.

It's entirely worth it. You've got a beautiful and VERY versatile instrument there... might as well take advantage of all it offers.

5. antinym

antinym

Jul 17, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    So, can anyone recommend a good teacher in the orlando area?