Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to find a fretless seven string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thekingbassist, Oct 29, 2003.

1. hi, im lookin for a fretless seven string around 2000 or less, if its custom i could go up to 2500.
    the conklin gt7 have had good reviews, but i have seen little else in my price range. any suggestions would be awesome. im looking for a seven with good tone for tappin, slappin, and and everthing else.

also what amps/brands are better suited to holding the range of a seven string.

thanks folks

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd highly recommend the Conklin New Century line. Might be just a little over your price cap, but worth it.. Custom shop quality for less money.

Check them out, and give Bill a call..

Conklin Guitars

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sound like Mark Eshenbaugh might be the perfect guy for you...and he has experience building the type of bass you're looking for. :D

4. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Hmmmm. Those Century basses look pretty limited for the price. I'd suggest Hanewinckel as an alternative. If you stick with something like a Classic you'll still get a few more options plus more than one body style (I admit, I don't care for the Sidewinder body shape).

Might check Bass Alone or Luthiers Access Group. They both sell Hanewinckel's.

5. im leaning towards conklin still, but the new century line was not that impressive, is the quality on them just that much better? i looked at some of those custom builders you guys suggested they didnt seem to present to many pics or stats on many sevens, but im imagining a seven in and of its self is a custom thing...should i just start emailing these companys for quotes?
    thanks folks

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I don't work for that certain large bass store in Florida, but last I checked they do have a used Roscoe fretless seven that looks mighty nice!!!

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I recommend Bill Conklin's instruments because I own several and can vouch for their workmanship and playability. I own two custom shop models with a third (Hollowbody 8 string) in the works. Plus he and Mike are great when it comes to customer service. The deal on the New Century line is to offer custom shop quality at below the custom shop price tag. He doesn't skimp on workmanship or material but just limits available options. That way he can get them to the buyer at a better price. Plus he specializes in these instruments, and (to me) experience means a lot!

I'd highly recommend contacting him and telling him what you have in mind.

Edit: Let me add that I have played the New Century line of basses and have found them identical to Bill's custom shop models in form, fit, finish and playability.