1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where To Find A Good Band Name?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by philzbass, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hey everyone, just looking for some kinda direction here. My band is looking for a name and were drawing blanks. I'm not asking anyone to come up with one for us, just looking for some pointers. :help:

I don't know, maybe this is a dumb thread.

Any replies would be appreciated

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I think Bard2dBone has a good list to get you started.

Also, Goldenboy might be able to lend a hand.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  4. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Take the what your band sounds like (or wants to sound like), multiply that by your favorite color. Divide that by the average age or number of band members. Finally, add that total to middle name or initial of your greatest music hero...

Seriously, I wish I would have come up with Kathleen Turner Overdrive or Brian Jonestown Massacre... I like names that are clever plays on stuff that has merit... so look at stuff that you like (song titles, lyrics, albums, etc.)

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
  6. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    What I've learned:

Pick something that sounds familiar.

Pick something that sounds specific.

Pick something that matches your genre.

Don't pick something ambigous, iffy, confusing, or long.

My band's name - I wish I'd thought of it, but didn't - is Five Star Loser, and I think it's a great name because it's a pop punk band and, well, it's a pop punk sounding name.

The Five Star part is great because anytime we drive by a building that says "Five Star Mattress COmpany" or a van that says "Five Star Painting and Lawn Care", we all jump out, pose, and snap a picture, and there ya go - instant goofy band pic. It's a term everyone's hear of.

The Loser part - well, it's self explanatory....We're a bunch of 3-chord-punk-rock losers.

Names I don't like - Sounds of Time. Noise Machine. Away Place. Side Thought. Truth Unknown. These are all kind of wishy washy. Maybe good for a new age group?? Dunno.

Regarding complexity - steer clear. I went to see a show once with 5 bands. One was on stage and they kept saying their name between songs and we were trying to catch it. I leaned over to my drummer and said,

"Hey what did he say they were called?"

"I think he said Geranium Plant."

"Huh? I thought he said Auditorium Planet."

"Oh, yeah, maybe..."

"Wait," says my guitarist, "I thought it was Automatic Parent."

We were stumped.

So we listened to Geranium Parent, or whatever, for a while and they were a decent rock band. Finally I noticed a poster nearby that said their realy name.

Auditory Implant.

Sure it's a cool name, but not necessarily a good one! Too far out. Big words are a mouthful. Maybe better to save those for a funk project or something.

Bottom line: Simple, familiar, and following the grain of the genre = a good thing, in my opinion.

Let us know what you choose!:bassist:

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    What about Led Zeppelin? Is that taken?

8. How about The Christ Punchers?

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

I don't know but i think Zed Leppelin is a catchy name.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Start eating fortune cookies.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    The name is Hell's Satans!

/Homer

12. Glad someone got it ^_^

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ya, that episode was on the other night. Did you see it too?

14. What about Pablo Dali? Is that confusing? It's a combination of Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali. We play progier rock. Do we get your approvel?

Oh Wait you guys are LOoSerS, what do I care what you think.

15. I don't recall it being on, then again I'm in the tri-state NY area, so it airs different episodes at different times.

16. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I actually like somewhat complicated names, such as Synapse, or Epsilon Orionis.

Then again, those would be for a prog rock band.

And I'm a geek.

17. Yes, it's confusing, but that's actually your goal if you're a prog rock band. Go forth and mystify!

18. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Sure, a good prog rock band name would be something like

Pragmozatron Yield

Tangential Reflux

The Icarus Polydactyl Project

Beryllium Shift Transducer

;)

19. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Youre doing it all wrong.. you need to come up with band names the way I coem up with songs names.
    Write a program that pseudo-randomly puts letters or words together. You get some good stuff!! like... "Wmmm"
    A later update of the program made sure that only sensical names came out.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Look in a landfill or junkyard.