Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find a nut for Gecko 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Sometime next year, I plan on getting a 6 string bass, and may go the Warmoth Gecko route (had good success with my 5 string fretless).

The question is, I have no way to do the nut for a 6 string bass and all Warmoth has are blanks. What are my options when it comes to this? If there are, in fact, no options other than having to somehow cut my own nut, I may just go a slightly more expensive route and have someone just custom build me a 6 string.

Any suggestions?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Warmoth has is now offering pre-slotted nuts on the Fender-type necks- they may also on the Geckos. I would ask, as they offer things for a while before they make it to the site.

3. I'd pay the additional charge for a pre-slotted nut. As I don't have a 6 string to go by (had one for the 5 string), I wouldn't be comfortable with trying to slot it myself. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Yes, we can slot and install a corian nut on nearly every neck we make, including the Gecko.

Just for fun, try Googling my name + Warmoth some time and look at the first result... ;)

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

Or look a few more down....
    [​IMG]

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Man, Warmoth and those Child Labor laws... :eyebrow: ;)

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    you might want to call them and let them know what you want. they'll probably slot them for you. they're pretty much up for anything custom that's within their reach.

8. Oh, . . well, . . . . okay. I guess that settles it. :) That is great to know, and I really appreciate your willingness to do it. Putting the parts together, even finishing it, I can to. But it is very good to know that something quite important as an equally spaced nut is offered.

Thank you very much, and I'll get with you all when the time comes. :smug:

By the way, when that times does come, I'll be looking at the following parts:

6 string Gecko.
    Alder body with Burl Maple top.
    Maple neck with Pau Ferro fingerboard, and Burl Maple head. veneer - probably without the gecko inlay.
    Gold hardware.
    6130 fret wire.

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :hyper: