Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to find an angled endpin assembly ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by myrick, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I like to play with the endpin angled off to the left (my left, as I hold the bass) and rear. I have two DIY S-curved pins on two basses, but these don't retract, so I need to switch to the original straight pin for transport.

On my main bass I have fitted a custom Pin-and-clamp assembly which allows the pin to be clamped at an angle after extraction from the body. Since this only works by having a fairly short pin, there is a second length which telescopes out from the end of the pin, held by a second small clamp. The whole unit is very well designed and machined, and works very, very well. It is designed for cello, but came with an add-on sleeve which widens the bore to fit a bass. Note this is not the so-called Egg-pin. I think what I have is nicer, cheaper, and more effective solution than an Egg-pin.

I would very much like to buy another one, but I don't know where. I originally found the one I have gathering dust in a luthier's shop, in a small foreign city which I'm not likely to visit ever again. I'm fairly sure this one is Swiss made. It had a little sticker on it with maker's name, but this has been lost. I have scoured the net, to no avail. Anyone ever seen or heard of these, and any thoughts how I can find another?

Thanks

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think I have one of those in a spare parts box. E-mail me if you want and I'll give a look...

3. Thanks Arnold, I'll contact via PM.

Incidentally, I have been informed by a friend that what I have is a Stahlhammer End Pin.