where to find an angled endpin assembly ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by myrick, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I like to play with the endpin angled off to the left (my left, as I hold the bass) and rear. I have two DIY S-curved pins on two basses, but these don't retract, so I need to switch to the original straight pin for transport.

On my main bass I have fitted a custom Pin-and-clamp assembly which allows the pin to be clamped at an angle after extraction from the body. Since this only works by having a fairly short pin, there is a second length which telescopes out from the end of the pin, held by a second small clamp. The whole unit is very well designed and machined, and works very, very well. It is designed for cello, but came with an add-on sleeve which widens the bore to fit a bass. Note this is not the so-called Egg-pin. I think what I have is nicer, cheaper, and more effective solution than an Egg-pin.

I would very much like to buy another one, but I don't know where. I originally found the one I have gathering dust in a luthier's shop, in a small foreign city which I'm not likely to visit ever again. I'm fairly sure this one is Swiss made. It had a little sticker on it with maker's name, but this has been lost. I have scoured the net, to no avail. Anyone ever seen or heard of these, and any thoughts how I can find another?

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think I have one of those in a spare parts box. E-mail me if you want and I'll give a look...
  3. Thanks Arnold, I'll contact via PM.

Incidentally, I have been informed by a friend that what I have is a Stahlhammer End Pin.