Where to find EMG J samples/recordings?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I could find a sample of "typical" EMG J sound? EMG site has slap clip but nothing else, and I'm mainly a fingerstyle player, in rock/punk/metal/funk -setting.

Anything like solo recordings, band recordings or even certain songs that represent that sound would be useful. Thanks.
  2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Don't know where you can get a sound, but if you like to play rock, punk, metal, and funk, EMGs are definitely NOT for you. To me, EMGs sound hollow and lack the punch that many punk/metal/funk players go for. I hear Seymour Duncans are good for our type of music, but I don't know where to find a sound of those either. In the meantime I guess I'll just stick to my Fender Jazz. It does the job quite well with just a Badass Bass II bridge.

Hope this helps.
  3. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    if you check out the music section @ www.breathingroom.ca all the bass was recorded with a 75 ri jazz, with a badass 2 bridge and emg j set pickups. signal chain was bass - demeter vtbp 201s - protools
  4. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Lefty Punk Bass, I don't know what your experiences are with EMG. But I can tell you that they don't sound hollow or lack punch (it may be your bass though).
    Emg's are very good for funk (P/J) , or metal (DC's). It's a pitty that I don't have any samples.

just listen to Victor wooten using his tenor bass, it has the emg-j set in it. (and he doesn''t only slap, listen to his solo on bassextremes "stan the man", wich is played on his tenor bass)
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I used to be in a punk band and used a bass with EMG PJ's in it. I agree with Lefty Punk Bass, they don't work well in that element. Too refined and hollow. For a rock/punk/metal/funk setting, you might want to check out DiMarzio Ultra Jazz p'ups. I don't have any experience with them, but I've only heard good things about them. SD Basslines too. Personally, I love the sound of the G&L L-2000. Varying degrees of aggressiveness can be reached (good for punk/metal) and you can get a great funk slap sound out of it too. But if you have to work around a jazz bass, I definately would get passive pickups, actives just don't sound right (to me at least) for more aggressive tones. Read some reviews to find what might work best for you.
  6. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    my bass with emg`s doesn`t sound flat or hollow. so does victor wooten`s fodera. so does les claypool`s CT.

check out some infection grooves cd`s - robert trujillo plays fernandes with emg`s, and the sound preety much shows how a emg can sound on a good bass.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You could check out STP's stuff.

A lot of it was done with a Jazz style Schecter with EMG's or a 51 style Schecter with Js or a PJ setup depending on the song.

"Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart" was done with EMG's and teh bridge pickup favored.