Where to find good drummers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Gutfeld, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Gutfeld

Gutfeld

Mar 22, 2017
    I'm in a band that plays locally and is filled with competent musicians--except for the drummer. His lack of ability to keep time is making it hard on me to lock in with him and is frustrating all in the band. Our area seems to have a shortage of drummers in general. Where have you had success is finding drummers? Is there a specific medium that has payed off better than others for finding one? Thank you for your time!

2. marmadaddy

marmadaddy Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Word of mouth. Finding a good drummer is easy. Finding a reliable drummer is easy. Finding a sane drummer is easy. Finding a sober drummer is easy. Finding a drummer with transportation is easy.

Finding a good, reliable, sane, sober drummer with transportation who isn't already in twelve bands is basically impossible.

Amano, wizay, Ender_rpm and 14 others like this.
  3. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    Alabama
    Craigslist, local facebook groups, expand search area. Depending on your genre and town, could be slim pickins. For example, trying to find a good death metal drummer in Alabama is a waste of time.

Gutfeld likes this.
  4. I put ads on the local FB pages (my personal page, our band page, and a couple of local musician pages), BandMix, and yes, Craig's List.

You gotta clean a lot of oysters to find a pearl, especially with drummers. I look under rocks that are under rocks that are under water. Hold out for a good one who can keep time and isn't an asshat.

Also, bump candidates with video/audio to the top of the list. Anyone who has no video/audio, in this day and age when you can make an HD promo video with your phone, is probably a waste of time. Use those vids and audio to begin the vetting process, and do have a good interview outline and a thorough phone chat before setting up a live session. You can filter out a lot of problem children that way.

Drummer auditions can be exhausting, especially if they travel to your rehearsal space and have to load in. 20-25 minutes to get their stuff in and set, and you'll know within 30 seconds if they were worth the time and effort. After three or four of those, you start to question your sanity. I set up a practice kit in my rehearsal space to avoid this.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Ekulati and Gutfeld like this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    There's an obvious answer.
    I'll go ahead and post it first, will I?

Order a pizza.
    Hand the delivery guy a set of drumsticks.
    Job done.

wizay, BurnOut, MrLenny1 and 7 others like this.
  6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Contact a drum instructor in the area, send them links to your music and ask them for referrals.

7. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    We found ours on bandmix.com 11 years ago. He's really good but he does have one of the three classic drummer personalities, of which none of them are good.

joebar and Gutfeld like this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Rather than dipping your line in the cesspool which is CraigsList, try something else. Go to a local musical store and ask around. Bother other customers and the people behind the counter.

JRA and Gutfeld like this.
  9. Find the jazz guys. They’re the best all around drummers. Go to jazz gigs and recruit. Better yet, find an unsigned jazz guy in the local college or University jazz band.

10. Get out more to open mic jams-but you can't shy about asking and if he don't or can't, he may recommend someone.

Gutfeld likes this.
  11. Gutfeld

Gutfeld

Mar 22, 2017
    :)

12. Gutfeld

Gutfeld

Mar 22, 2017
    Great details! Thank you!

electracoyote likes this.
  13. Gutfeld

Gutfeld

Mar 22, 2017

14. Gutfeld

Gutfeld

Mar 22, 2017

15. Gutfeld

Gutfeld

Mar 22, 2017
    That sounds perfect!

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    +1,000,000

Ask everyone you know for recommendations, even if that drummer is busy in other bands.

Oh yeah, money talks. The more gigs you have and the more they pay the easier it is to get a committed drummer.

Gutfeld and btmpancake like this.
  17. CryingBass

CryingBass Just a Fool Whose Intentions are Good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Mars. You did say good, right? :)

Gutfeld likes this.
  18. PanRap

PanRap

Jan 31, 2018
    Greece
    tr-909-040116-616x440.jpg Usually check out Roland...
    though i heard there are some good ones in AKAI these days.

As a last resort go to Ableton, Protools or even FL

nbsipics, Bassbeater and Gutfeld like this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Neverland. Second star the the right and straight on 'til morning.

Oddly and Gutfeld like this.
  20. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    What marmadaddy said...