Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to find info about MM U-Retro (not dudepit)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 3, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I was banned from the Dudepit without reason, so now I have no way of finding info on or even ordering one. Is there another website that I can find information on them?

~Patrick

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Couldn't find a single thing about the Marcus Miller U-Retro model.

~Patrick

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oh, didn't see the MM part. I think Steve Barr is having those custom made.

4. I think you can get them retail from Bass Northwest.

5. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Well bad news you were banned from the Dudepit and I certainly don't want to cause any awkward scenes here, but I make and supply the Marcus Retro, so can certainly tell you about it.

What would you like to know?

John

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I was wanting to know the general info. Price? Controls (which I assume are the same as a Standard J-retro)? And one thing that is kinda of an odd question, but would satisfy me greatly, Would I be able to remove the control plate, if I desired to have a custom tortoise shell pickguard made for it, and use that over the control cavity instead of the stock plate?

7. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Steve's dollar list price has just gone up due to the exchange rate. The GBP has gained a lot of strength over the last 6 months or so, very bad for my business! So current list is 350.00 USD.

I'm not sure if the pickguard is supplied in that price as I normally ship just the electronics which drops into the original pickguard, as the knob spacings are the same as a Jazz. Normally an extra toggle hole is required for the Retro pickups toggle.

The electronics is the same as the Retro except that on recent units, I've lowered the corner frequency of the treble control so there's little more 'bite' along with the 'sizzle'.

It's certainly possible to get a pickguard in the material of your choice from the USA, which where I've got them in the past. I'd have check where they came from as I didn't order them directly myself.

So you drop the electronics right in or have a custom plate made. I guess you'd need to battery cover piece made up too.

One player who was really pleased with the Retro in his Marcus, is Frank Felix in the UK. I believe he used it on a tour he did in the USA with Acoustic Alchemy lat year.

Hope that answers you ?s.

John

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Actually Patrick, you were banned twice for being inflametory which is a first! :meh:

No worries, you can get them from Brian Ristola at www.Bestbassgear.com

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps: You can contact Roger at Jeannie Pickguards if you want a custom tort guard. He also has the templates for all 3 pieces on a Marcus (guard, control plate, battery cover)

His website is located at:

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its spelled inflammatory. :smug:

Thanks for the info, John. I appreciate it. I completely forgot about this until it was dug up.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Thanks for the spelling lesson!!

Here's a photo of the type of unit you're looking for.

[​IMG]

If you want to order one contact Brian Ristola at Best Bass Gear.

It might be advisable to actually own a Marcus Miller Signature though first. ;)

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL...Touche' :D