Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find info/ How to become a Luthier?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stu L., Jan 23, 2003.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I did a search..

Hi guys. I've been doing some minor repairs on guitars lately, and have really enjoyed myself. My question is, where can I find more info on either repairs, or doing the luthier thing in itself? Do you go to school? Or just apprentace (sp?)? Is there a book on how to? Thanks for any/all help.:)

2. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    You can get Melvin Hiscock's book Make Your Own Electric Guitar. It has many good techniques that can be applied to a bass also. There's a school in Arizona I believe, I can't remember the name right now. You could probably do a search on google for schools of luthiery and find it/some. Other than that all I can say is continue to tinker with repairs and such, and maybe take on a project.

Good Luck.

EDIT: There are many other books that would work, but that is the one that comes to mind right now.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey there buddy, i asked this question not to long ago, do a search, and you should find,,, i think. Try searching for "Schools" or "school".

EDIT: Oops, seems like you did a search,,, well, let me see if i can drag it up......

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks guys. Yeah Polly, I did a search, but returned 0 results. Wrong keywords I guess. :rolleyes:

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks JP, just couldnt fin them EITHER! Well, in any case. there they are.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    greg curbow is currently putting together a school luthiery.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks. I'm not really wanting to do anything "full time" but just as a hobby. I appreciate everyones help. :)

8. Check out www.mimf.com

This is to me the best on-line source for instrument making. They offer online classes and tons of info on the subject. they cover a bunch of different subjects like how to make those tube drums from PVC pipe like Blue Man uses.

Have fun

If you do decide to go to school, the vo-tech in Red Wing, MN is one of the best instrument repair schools in the country.

Other web stuff:

www.frets.com

www.stew-mac.com

www.lmii.com

A couple of organizations that may help:
    Guild of american Luthiers
    Association of String Instrument Artisans