Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find jam partners?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BucketButt, Jul 31, 2004.

1. BucketButt

BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    Many years ago when I was a kid playing guitar, I jammed with other guys on my block. Forty years later I'm playing electric bass, but don't know any other hobbyist musicians.

Where would you go to find people to jam with? I'm not looking to gig, I just want to find some other amateur musicians around my age (55) who'd like to get together and have fun playing music. I'm taking lessons, and thought for awhile that I'd meet other musicians through the store; but the other regulars there are either gigging pros, kids a third my age, or -- and I find this a bit odd -- other adults who are also taking bass lessons.

While my musical preferences are rockabilly, '60s pop and classic rock, at this point I'm willing to consider other styles ... if only i can find good people to play with.

Should I just place a classified ad, or is there a better way to meet like-minded people and see if we're REALLY like-minded before we get together to play? It's a fairly small town in a rural area of West Tennessee, which makes finding local musicians a bit difficult; but it's midway between Memphis and Nashville, one of the most fertile musical environments ever, so you know there have to be other musicians around here.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you could see if there are any local musician boards, open mic nights, online classifieds (I've hooked up with all my last few musicians through online clasifieds).

I'm gonna move this to Misc and see if we can't get you some more ideas :bassist:

(I stepped away from music and moved to a new area and have been fighting my way back for the last few)

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A couple of music store ads, and maybe the alternative paper.
    State your age, that will take care of the 15 year olds,
    we love them here, but probably not that band you are looking for.

I found a great band through the papre some years back, I was a bit older than they, but it was on tha table, and the phone call qualified it quickly...

I have a job, a life, looking to expand my musical experience,
    here is what I can commit to.

That can take up 90 secs of a phone call. but, you are in fertile ground, people want bplayers, don't get sucked into a stupid situation.

Take care
    Thor

4. radiocycle

radiocycle

Mar 2, 2007
    Morro Bay CA
    Well, I know this thread is a few days old now, but I could have written that same OP today. And yes, I'm one of those odd adults taking bass lessons, having played some guitar many yrs ago, I'm now 65.

Although I don't live in the Midwest, I do live in a small (for California) coastal town of 10K with a very closed musical vibe. The same situation of either working pros; the ones that play all of the few musical venues around here, or the head-banging metal type kids. We do have 'open mic' nights at a couple of the local bars and I know I should get up the guts to go play there but it's a big deal! Another possibility that I have tried and seems like it could work is Craigslist. I did get into one possible situation but that fell apart for personnel reasons... But it's almost like it would be better to somehow find guys that you could just get along with first, and then work on the musical end of things secondly.

I guess part of the problem is that most older musicians have been playing for most of their lives and don't have time for learners at this point; they're looking for other pro-level players. Seemed like when I was a kid there was always one guy that had the most musical knowledge/ability and he'd be the one who would teach us all the songs and kind of be the band leader when we'd get together. It don't seem to work like that now.

Good luck on your quest! Maybe by now you found your group??

radio

5. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    go to a free open mic :bag:

6. I'm in a similar situation. After a lengthy, multi-year absence from music, I decided I want to play again. I tried meeting local musicians through Craigslist but nothing really clicked up to now.

I'm older, married and have a job as well. Plus, I've never smoked or done drugs in my life, nor do I drink at a practice or gig. I'm sort of looking for the same in other musicians.

7. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Peanut butter goes pretty well with jam, though I wouldn't call them "partners". It's in the cupboard. :bag:

8. radiocycle

radiocycle

Mar 2, 2007
    Morro Bay CA
    Oh, tnx for your help Sonic...

r

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Someone mentioned in another thread about open mics, I think in the Bass Humor forum, about their open mic having 8 drummers, but he was the only bassist.

Sounds like a dream for someone wanting to start up a new band.

They most certainly are partners. Sometimes they come together in a jar.