Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find Ray Brown Videos of "The Art Of Playing The Bass"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I was wondering if anyone can help me in finding copies of the three out of print videos that Ray Brown made?

The Art of Playing the Bass

Volume 1: with Milt Hinton
    Volume 2: with John Clayton
    Volume 3: with Francois Rabbath

2. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT

Thanks!!!!!!!

They linked me to Lemur.com who had not only the 3 volumes, but a fourth one that I was not aware of.

I placed my order for all four videos today.

3. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    The tapes arrived. Volume 2 with John Clayton is a great tape for a beginner like myself. It shows the scales, triads, some blues, and playing techniques. It is very informational. :)

4. I hope you'll comment on the other three volumes too.

5. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Volume 1 with Milt Hinton shows Milt demonstrating his slap bass style and reminiscing over old photos of other jazz legends with him.

Most of the slap bass shots are close ups of his right hand and the various syncopations he could achieve.

I'll try to watch volume 3 and 4 this weekend.

6. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Volume 3 with Francois Rabbath is a 30 minute session for beginners where he explains his fingering and bowing theories.

For fingering, he uses only 5 hand positions to cover the entire fingerboard. He wants to minimize thumb position movement.

For bowing, he explains how and where to use the bow. Moving the bow closer to the bridge as he plays the higher end of the fingerboard and the up to the end of the fingerboard as he plays lower notes in in first position.

7. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    The 4th tape is called "An Evening With Triple Treat". It is a 60 minute performance tape with Monty Alexander on piano, Herb Ellis on guitar, and Ray Brown on bass. They play several songs including "Lined With A Groove", "Detour Ahead", "I Just Can't See For Looking", and wrap it up with "Meet The Flintstones". They are joined by violinist John Frigo on a few numbers. Also included are some comments by the various players.