Where to find reliable amp repair?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lmascheri, Aug 18, 2018.

1. lmascheri

lmascheri

Mar 7, 2013
    Hello folks, I have a Carvin BA210 combo that’s about 5 years old, like new, I’d say it’s done light duty overall. It’s having a problem: makes a pocka-pocka sound when on, with or without any input. Turning any pot all the way up or all the way down has no effect either. If anyone has an educated guess what the problem might be, fire away. What I really was hoping for was a recommendation to a reliable repair place that wouldn’t rob me blind, in the Chicago/suburban area. Any one have a good experience somewhere? Much Thanks!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Does it pass audio otherwise, or is that the only sound it makes?

3. lmascheri

lmascheri

Mar 7, 2013
    That’s the only sound it makes.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not good, you are going to need a good tech for this.

I would (first) evaluate the cost of repair and also the cost of any estimates and diagnostics against the value of a working amp to see if attempting a repair is the best big picture approach.

Sanchan likes this.
  5. lmascheri

lmascheri

Mar 7, 2013
    yeah, that’s my first thought, repairs will probably be expensive, maybe cheaper to replace. I was hoping someone in Chgo/suburban area might point me to a reliable repair shop rather than me just flying blind. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021