Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find tiny allen wrench set?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 18, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know the allen wrench that came with my bass (Peavey Cirrus) is around my house somewhere, but I've temporarily lost track of it, and I'd like to spare to keep in my gig bag anyway. So, I'm not sure what size it is, but my set of standard-measure wrenches doesn't seem to have a match. I went out to find an inexpensive set of small metric allen wrenches, but have had no luck so far. Home Depot didn't have any good options (except the 'every allen wrench size known to man, at a price that's fair but too steep for the sake of one wrench), nor did a computer/electronics store or Harbor Freight (hardware).

I'm gonna try Sears next, but I figure I'd ask here, too...

:)

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    You should have some luck at Sears. I got a set there myself but it's been many, many years. Maybe try an Ace Hardware? FWIW, the last time I needed an allen wrench I went ahead and coughed up the money for the gigantic set at the depot. Now I've got every size I could possibly ever need in both metric and standard.

Good luck.

3. For under $10 you should be able to get all the allen wrenches you'll ever need. Sure, you only need 1 now but think about it...you'll be covered for any bass you own in the future (that uses hex adjusters). It sure is nice having them all in one place rather than having to paw around looking for a needle in a haystack...been there, done that.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just bought a 13 piece set from Lowes for around $10.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got a tool that has all the things you need like this, on one handy thing - like a swiss army knife for guitarists - it's variously called a "Guittool" or "Roadie Wrench" - but the same idea. I take it everywhere with me :

[​IMG]

"This tough, lightweight, durable tool combines seven of the most popular sizes of allen key (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 6mm) with two screwdrivers (philips and slot), and a clever string cutting device to create the ultimate guitar tool. The multipurpose Roadie Rench? is sleek, streamlined, easy to use and is the one tool no player or roadie should be without."

It's also handy for throwing at drummers to get their attention!! ;)

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I think my Home Depot was just out of stock on the metric ones, 'cause that's what I spent on the standard set that works on the Badass bridge on my J bass. All they had were standard/metric combo sets for $20+, that included a lot of huge sized wrenches I'd never use.

I was hoping to find a set that was biased more towards the smaller sizes than the ones I found. Since I don't know the size, $20 would be a lot to spend and still not luck into the right size (especially knowing that only a couple out of the set even stood a remote chance of being the size I was looking for). A set of smaller-sized ones I figured ought to be around $10 and would almost certainly hit the mark. Finding such a set is proving more of a challenge than I thought it should be!

Anyone know what size wrench a Peavey Cirrus bridge likes? On my standard-measure Home Depot set, the smallest one is too small and the next one up is too large (but this porridge is just right, btw!) ;)

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

I wouldn't waste a perfectly good tool on a drummer. He'd probably eat it. Beer cans and bottles, that's the ticket.

I use the roadie wrench too and it's really handy, especially since it also has a built in string cutter that works on bass strings...

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You might want to ask over on the Peavey forums.

http://www.peavey.com/support/forums/

Peavey Customer Service is pretty good about promptly answering questions on their forums.

Then you can know what size wrench(es) you're looking for...

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Excellent suggestions - I'm going to see if any of my local music stores carry the "roadie rench."

Thanks all...

10. WhatOtto

WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    Thats the first indication that you need a metric allen wrench.

I dunno, But those sets can come in handy for other things too you know.... I guess i say that because I fix everything around the house (as well as basses) myself, so I can justify the wrench set... (now try to explain to the olde lady why I need a new sawzall is another story..)

11. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I think Radio Shack has a small set of English and Metric wrenches in a handy little holder. I've had mine for years.
    FWIW.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Auto parts stores should have allen wrenches.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Been to Home Depot, hardware stores, and Radio Shack. Live outside Charlotte on the opposite side from Sam Ash but my brother works close to Sam Ash so I asked him to pick me up a 4mm allen. He brought out that Roadie Wrench. Which I suppose is great for throwing at drummers but it's useless for the truss rod on many basses because you need that bend to get into the slot. I'm a minimalist kind of guy anyway and as Buffett's said, "I don't want a 25 lb Nestle's Crunch bar for $25, I just what a regular box of Junior Mints - where are the Junior Mints!

Radio shack was my last encounter, no metric. Wally World's next door and I had to go there anyway. Of all places, they had a double ring set with US and metric: 1/16 - 1/4" & 1.5 - 6mm. Truss rod to bridge sizes. 88 cents + tax. Yeh, they're made in China, not my ideal but you're not talking about torqueing down a headbolt on a diesel engine and it worked fine for me. I called Sam Ash just to followup, and no they don't stock allen wrenches. Go figure.

14. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    If you want just one allen wrench for the time being, you could just go ask for one at your local guitar store. I went into my local GuitarTrader and asked someone if I could get some allen wrenches to adjust my truss rod and bridge and the guy was totally cool and handed me a few. Granted, the truss rod one didn't fit, but I eventually found one in my garage that did, and the bridge one is just nice... no more using my fingers to slowwwwly move the bridge up and down!

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got one laying around here I don't use. Interested? PM me.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For what it's worth, I'd try and find out exactly what size your bass is cause that truss rod slot is the last thing you want buttered up on your bass. If the bass was made overseas it will be metric and if the wrench came from your garage it's probably american standard. Even the proper size wrenches are sloppy enough.

17. Allparts has a decent selection of tools, and the price is right. The ball ends with screwdriver type handles are excellent for most adjustments, and they are so much easier to use than the Roadie Wrench, or "boxes" that hardware sores sell. Turning the screwdriver type handles is much easier than turning the clumsy shape of the Roadie Wrench. Unfortunately, many truss rods require a bent wrench. Get a set of those at Home Depot or Lowes or Sears.