Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where to find wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wingslax, Oct 10, 2003.

1. wingslax

wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    hey all, im gonna make a bass soon, and i can't really find too many places where i can find good wood to use... i want to make it an ash or tulipwood body with a myrtle top, but i cant find either of those on the internet...does anybody have suggestions for places to look? also, i am debating with myself if i should make my own neck or just buy one...is making a neck as difficult as it sounds? any help is appreciated, thanks

2. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
  3. if you dotn have access to a shop full of the right tools, making a neck is hard....but then if you're unskilled like me, making a neck is still hard with all the tools in the world.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Making a neck is not difficult. It just demands true attention, patience and interest. A kitchen table, a few clamps, straight edges, a plane and a few files is what you need (though you will soon enough want some other gear to ease the work...). And a saw, perhaps, if you make a neckthru from a thick blank.

5. i'm willing to bet that a lot of that "true attention" comes from experience though

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :oops:

7. I made a neck and it didn't seem too hard. The hardest part is getting it flat :eek:

A good plane and a flat work surface are the reall necessities. if you know a woodworker with a planer or thickness sander that might help too.

I got my wood at the local Rockler store. Just look for nice straight wood, the people at these places are pretty good help too. If you want "guitar wood" then check out Luthiers Mercantile LMI for more wood than you can shake a stick at (sorry about the pun). Mostly geared towards acoustic builders but lots of fun stuff. And as mentioned, gallery hardwoods. There's a bumch of other places, search "tonewood" or "luthier wood" and you will have a pretty big list to sift through.

Most of all enjoy yourself. There's not much more satifying than playing an instrument you built yourself.