1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to find Yami replacement pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by allotabass, Apr 13, 2010.

1. allotabass

allotabass Guest

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Just curious, but why the stock Yamahas? I know that they will sell them seperately, put they will charge you an arm and a leg for them. If you do have your heart set on getting the Yamaha p/us, I would suggest ebay or the wanted forum here on TB,

3. allotabass

allotabass Guest

4. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Shoot, a near miss--I have a spare 5-string vintage BB pickup I could sell, but you need 4-string.

6. allotabass

allotabass Guest

7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It would be easier to have custom pickup rings cut so that the outside dimensions & mounting screws were the same but the interior cutout would house a traditional p-pickup. There are several folks who can cut this for you but here's one I've used:

http://terrapinguitars.com/

8. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  9. allotabass

allotabass Guest

10. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Yamaha pickups are a proprietary size so good luck finding anyone selling them separately on the used market. I'm assuming you tried all the part numbers on the yamaha parts website (https://www.yamaha24x7.com/yamahaOMS)

Some options to consider:

1. You may find a cheap BB414 that you can gut but that seems like a lot of money for what amounts to an average sounding pickup.
    2. A custom winder like Aero or Nordstrand could make you a p-pickup with a custom made yamaha-sized cover.
    3. Fabricate a new ring made for a Fender sized pickup and your pickup choices expand infinitely.