Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get a body painted?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spc, Dec 8, 2004.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Hello, Does anyone know where I can send a bass to have it painted? I was hoping for a nitrocellulose finish...I'm local to Boston but would ship if anyone had any suggestions...thanks!

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Maybe a body shop can do it. That's similar to what the big companies do, anyway (except that they have nitrocellulose, and the average car does not).

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    An auto body shop?
    I can ask around, anyone else?
    (thanks andvari7)

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Yes, an autobody shop. If you find one that's friendly it's very easy for them to shoot a coat of paint on while they're doing a vehicle. You might have to be patient while you wait for the right color to come up.

I've often wondered how "powder coating" would do on a guitar. Powder coating is a process where finely ground plastic is sprayed onto the workpiece, and then baked in high temperature ovens. Many industries are using powder coats rather than paint because it is a more durable finish.

5. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    well if its backed at high heats im not sure how well the wooden body would stand up to it! :) you can get an airbrush kit. those are very professional once youve figured out how to use it properly

6. Powder coating is more than just a baked on finish. The powder used is a mixture of finely ground particles of a colored plastic type material, which is sprayed onto a surface to be coated. The charged powder particles (powder-coating machine handles this) adhere to the electrically grounded surfaces (which I assume needs to be electrically conductive) until heated and fused into a smooth coating in an oven.

Not sure if wood cuts it. Besides, it's gotta bake at 375-400 degrees to bake the particles. Wood DEFINITELY won't handle that!

7. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Then a custom shop could do it. I know they use paint for details (flames, stripes, etc.), so they have the resources. As for there being automotive custom shops in Boston that would be willing to do this...

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone?

9. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    still looking...

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Were you wanting a color finish or natural? If you want a natural finish the go to the Luthiers' Corner and do a search for Truoil. Easy to do.

There is also a do-it-yourself website which will sell you nitro in rattle cans and directions for use. Try http://reranch.august.net/

Yes, there are paint and body shops which can paint your bass body, but make sure they know what they are doing with wood. Having them do the prep work (stripping and sanding and such) will be expensive so if you can do that yourself, all to the good.

If you can't do the prep work, you might as well send it to a reputable refinisher.

11. There ARE techniques out there now to powder coat wood. The powders require lower heat for flowout.

Most regular autobody shops don't spray much lacquer anymore. Some do but most are geared to production and lacquer is simply too time consuming to finish off nicely. The polyurethanes are the popular pigment because they cure quickly, and can have a wet look without buffing. They also have a thicker film and that covers better and hides surface imperfections better than the thinner nitro. I am NOT saying that the poly's are better than lacquer. I just want you to be aware that you are going to be asking a shop to do something they are not expert at (painting yeah, but not instruments) and there might be some compromises involved.

12. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Thanks for the help...I'm looking for a nitro finish (I think!)...something that will wear as it ages and I beat it up. I like the relic look, but can't afford the high prices for one. Has anyone checked this out?http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/

13. If you are on the east coast, I'm guessing Pedulla might do it. It might be a little pricy though.

14. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    update:

Mike Lull will do a nitro finish
    Michael Dolan will also
    Edenhaus sells bodies and necks and offer nitro finishes,