Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get a Fodera or MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    If the mods decide to move this to the gear wanted section, I guess I shouldn't complain. However, I'm in the market for either an MTD 6 or a Fodera 6.

It can be used.

Can soomeone tell me where to look either on the web or on the west coast? All the really GOOD stores are on the East Coast.

If it helps, I know that a Fodera 6 is probably gonna run me $3000 (used), and I'm thinking that an MTD 6 (used) is gonna be about $2000? I have this exact Ken Smith BSR6-MW that I'm putting on the market to acquire the instrument that I end up getting.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...hmm...

(looks down at signature)

...hmm...

;)

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

What.... ??

What>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>??????

What's wrong with my signature?

I'm a huge Larry Grahm fan. I like thinking that he's my dad,

for play play.

C'mon....

I'm not the only one!!

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Bass Central is THE PLACE for great Foderas and great service. thats where I bought my last Fodera (which I foolishly sold, oh well) and thats where I will buy my next Fodera most likely (I say most likely only because I might buy one used)

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Mario- Gard meant HIS signature!! :)
    Bass Central does indeed have keep a great stock of MTD's and Foderas- and I hear Gard knows someone there.... :ninja:

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I dunno, but it seems to me like you would be paying more than 2-3k for either a used MTD 6 and especially a Fodera 6, unless of course your name is Brad Johnson.

Also, try The Groove Shoppe, they only stock the best. Bass Alone has an absolutely killer Fodera 6 right now but it's like 7900 or so, used.

7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    hey Mario, its spelled Graham :) at last spell your dad's name right

as with most boutique basses, if you can buy used you are better off

8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

O.K. I feel StooPid at the moment.

And Jared, I appreciate the reality shock. I know of the major places like BassCentral, BassPapace, BassNW and the like. There's a 635 Crotch Walnut / Ash at Bass Central that I'm almost certain will float my boat. However, it's in FLorida and I'm not. I'm on the other side of the US. WHich is why I was asking about fox holes that are on the WEST coast.

I'm almost certain that it's going to be used....(money and cost IS an issue) and as such, I REALLY need to be able to try it B4 I plop down cash. I'm willing to take a little drive to LA or even cop a Southwest Airlines flight somewhere on the west coast to do a little looking, but WHERE besides Bass NW?

Adrian?? GOt something in Vegas for me?

I don't know, what I'm looking for at the right price, for me, simply aint' out there.

Thanks folks, I appreciate your input.

9. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

Maybe that's why the booger hasn't replied to any of my letters and denied paternity all these years.

Anyone know a good shrink......

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Bass Central, Giampietro Guitars, Bass Alone all handle the basses you're interested in.
    Good Luck!

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

BassExchange.com is in LA (I've been there) and they carry MTD's and Fodera's...usually at least a few of them at a time. Not sure about sixer's though. I really think used sixer's in general are going to be harder to find so if you want one online I would purchase it, making sure there is a trial period.

I'd lean towards finding an MTD unless you really want to fork out the bucks on a Fodera for whatever reason.

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    As far as I know (maybe Gard could clear this up), Bass Central has a trial period and won't make you keep anything that you don't want (within a reasonable time of course, I believe its 48 hours).

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That's it!

Full refund for the cost of the instrument, less shipping costs, done the same day that the bass is recieved and inspected by BC.

Anyone with BC questions, feel free to PM or e-mail me....

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I bought a used MTD 535 from Gard and the guys at BC not too long ago (you can still see it, $2500 for the used amber/myrtle burl top/ash body). Just make sure you ask Gard about the condition of the case before you commit ;) (they made it right)

If you're in Alameda, head across the bridge to Redwood City and go to Gelb Music. They are your best local source to try out some nice basses, not sure about their used inventory and/or prices.

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    where to get a Fodera or MTD... :meh:

Ca, USA... :meh:

AND YOU ARE COMPLAINING?!? THEN WHAT SHOULD I SAY?!? :bawl:
    Here the only Fodera that I have seen was the one that Marcus Miller brought with himself and had on stage... Otherwise nothing higher-end than a Warwick, and especially nothing in lefty.
    So stop complaining because you live in a place where you have way more options :rolleyes:

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I don't think he is complaining, just in search of a little help and doesn't want to waste his hard earned money.

17. Along with Gard and the other fine guys at Bass Central, Chad and Evan at Bass Northwest in Seattle are fantastic and absolutely reliable.

I would also call the source. You never know what Mike Tobias or the guys at Fodera may have been asked to help sell by someone trying to finance a new build.

Aloha,

Jonathan

18. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    yes Bass Northwest is a great place too... the only reason I didn't mention them is because they rarely have a Fodera in stock, whereas Bass Central always does have many

19. Give John at Bass Alone (in San Diego) a call. He is a great guy and he is honest. He usually has several high end sixes on hand, sometimes used ones. It is frustrating trying to make an informed decision on a high end bass when you cannot put your hands on one! You can buy a used version of one of the popular boutique basses fairly safely, because the best makers have such great quality control. But it might not be exactly what you want. You only know that by playing the instruments. What is the solution? A vacation in New York City? I'd like to hear from some players there, because I always imagined you could find pretty much anything there, new, used. How are the prices there compared to other cities, especially on used high end gear?

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh yea, Gelb Music, located on El-Camino Real across the street from Sequoia High School. Yea I remember.