Where to get a good bass wheel in the UK?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Martin Beer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I carry my bass around Edinburgh a lot (Edinburgh bassists: if you see a skinny guy lugging bass across the meadows and looking thoroughly exhausted, it's probably me!), so a wheel seems like a good idea, but I'm struggling to find one without ordering one from the states. Does anyone know where to find one? Are there any UK stockists of the gaines wheel for instance? The contrabass shoppe stock does one, but it seems a little small compared to the Gaines or other wheels, and it's not cheap at £76. Any hints (other than getting a car....)?
  2. Hmm. From what I've been able to find, you might be stuck ordering that from the USA, if you want a Gaines. I found a UK site that mentions it: www.stevevai.co.uk/acoustic-guitar/3/kay-acoustic-guitar.html

Steve Vai has a link to Bob Gollihur's page for it. Isn't that special.
    I'll keep looking. I can't remember the name of the company that makes it. It is not "Gaines". If they have a page with a contact, that is your best bet for finding a UK distributor.

BTW, the Gaines wheel isn't inexpensive either, but it appears to be worth it.
  3. http://www.gainesbasswheel.com/contact.html

This site lists no European distributors, but does have contact info.

Here's a radical thought: Go to your favourite music stuff stockist and tell them there is this dandy USA product that they could sell boodles of if they could just get a few of them over. In the USA, it is the reputed best wheel available. There are some similar to the one the C. Shoppe has here (USA) also and they don't stack up. Give them the contact information and see if they bite. They could probably get an exclusive deal to supply all of the UK at least. That should be worth doing for some entrepreneuring Scottsman. Maybe you can get them to give you a wheel for hooking them up. :)
  4. Hey Martin, we should meet up sometime. Where are you gigging these days?

5. Hi Doug,
    I do a regular acoustic slot with accordian, clarinet etc. at Susies Diner (a veggie/wholefood kind of place) on west nicholson street from 7-9 or so on a friday, though not this friday as I'm away. I also do a similar thing in the Forest cafe, Bristo place from 8-10 on wednesdays. There are also some gigs doing balkan music during the festival. I'll keep you posted...
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's entirely possible to order stuff from the US or Europe , via the net if it's not available in the UK.

I order stuff from UK shops when I can, but if it's not there...

I bought a digital metronome from Germany recently and it only took a few days - quicker than some UK shops!! ;)

I also bought a padded cover for my EUB from a bass shop in the US, via their website and have bought countless books, CDs and other small stuff from US websites, that wasn't available in the UK! :)
  7. Okay, Martin - I've noted these gigs and I'll try to look you up at one of them.

If you're not doing anything on Thursdays, you'd be most welcome at the acoustic blues session I host downstairs at the Royal Oak in Infirmary Street until the end of July. We're on from 9pm to midnight or later - drop in and say hello and marvel at the biggest collection of vintage dobros in one room outside of a guitar shop!
  8. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I think there is one on Ebay in the U.K. right now.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy off eBay, but I would certainly buy from Bob Gollihur with no worries! :)