Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get a short scale neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by klocwerk, Sep 12, 2005.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Hey all.
    So I bought a custom carved J body from a guy here in the TB forums, planning on swapping over the fender J neck I have. Neck pocket was right and all.
    I get the body and it's waaaay too short to fit a full sized fender neck. I was pissed, but I got over it quick. Body was good quality, and only $25 after all.

So I want to make a short scale bass for noodling with, maybe even convert it to a piccolo eventually, but I can't for the life of me find an aftermarket short scale neck to purchase! It's driving me batty! Oh, and I'd rather not spend more than $100 on this, max. It's a short scale frankenbass, I'm not spending a fortune to put it together. heh.

Standard fender pocket on a short scale neck, not sure if that'll happen. Therefore, I'd be ok with shimming in the neck pocket if the heel is smaller than fender standard, and throw on a weird hand-cut pickguard to cover the ugly.

I e-mailed warmoth, they said they're hoping to have some shorties within the next year. useful. :rolleyes:

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

2. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I think SX makes a whole short scale bass for about 100 and change.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    yup, 109 + s/h. The thought has occured to me, but then I'd have another body I wasn't doing anything with, and all the P electronics since this body's already routed for jazz. (No, they don't sell a short scale J. heh.)
    Plus, I've heard their necks are hit or miss, and I'd rather pick up a quality neck. Also I'd prefer a thinner jazz style neck.

All in all, it's a posibility I've considered and haven't ruled out, but I'd rather not go that way just yet.

4. Go ahead and rule it out or take it because there isn't a supplier for what you're looking for. You could get a builder to make you one but $100 won't get it fretted much less carved out. You've got a long and expensive laundry list of features you want in a neck for a bass you don't want to spend money on.

In all things, you can have three qualities but only two at a time - low price, high quality, quick turnaround. Pick the two you want at the expense of the third.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Make it yourself....t

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    in my little boston apartment, with no decent equipment, having never built a neck before... I think I'll pass, but thanks. :D

Hambone, I'm not picky about this, honestly. Those are preferences, not requirements. And I'm well aware that the rondo might be my best option in the end, but I'd much rather have a neck only than an entire bass to deal with in my closet or parting out. Space is at a premium for me.

No one knows a source for short scale necks?

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    For $100. You aren't going to be happy.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd be perfectly happy with the neck ripped off an old shortscale squire or something.

I'm not looking for a custom walnut neck with a flame Koa fingerboard and inset LEDs. I came to this forum because I figured you guys would know where I should look, not to ask you to build me a neck for under $100.

Sorry to sound pissy, but this is a fairly straightforward request that shouldn't be hard to fulfill, and being told I'm not going to be happy is rather irritating since you're obviously not listening to what I'm asking for.

Feel free to ignore this thread now.

9. YOU'RE not understanding what we're saying here...we, I, deal in this stuff all the time. We scour the internet, we trade sources, we horde sources, we find odd stuff in every corner of the globe. And what we are trying to tell you is that there is no aftermarket manufacturer of these necks that we know of. You can't have one cuz there ain't one to have! A luthier that builds necks is the only source other than your own self to get one like you want.

Besides, did it ever occur to you to just take the Essex neck off and turn around and sell the body lock, stock and barrel to the first comer on ebay and knock that off the price of the neck?

Now, you're down here in the "Luthiers" forum and wonder of wonders, we build our own stuff down here. If that cuts against your grain, then move your whiny butt upstairs to "Setup" and let them tell you the same thing. But don't get pissy with us when you can't understand the reality of the situation.