1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where to get case for this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Black Sheep, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Does anyone have a recomendation for a place to get an inexpensive, lightweight case (bag) for my 3/4 (old Gibson) UB?

2. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Try a local guitar shop in your area.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yes, because guitar shops often carry cases for double basses.

Anyway, check out Upton or Gollihur or Mooradian for the basic bags.

4. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I didn't know UB ment upright bass. You don't have to be a ****** ***hole about it.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ****ing moron.

6. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    What's your ******* problem?

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It's usually a good idea to double-check which forum you're in before posting a reply; in this case, the OP posted his question in a DB forum, and (for those in the know), clearly identified his bass as an "upright."

Don't feel too bad - on the DB side of TalkBass, we're used to "interlopers" posting replies as if TB's membership is inhabited solely by electric bass players.

8. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Well thank you for explaining that. I don't know why ED FUQUA couldn't just explain it to me instead of calling me a ******* moron

9. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow...play nice, kids! Oddly enough Rondo Music (home of the infamous SX line) has a really nice looking 3/4 size bass bag for $79. I bought the $29 bass guitar version and it's one of the nicest, most rugged soft cases I've seen. If the URB version is as well-made, it will blow away the (twice as expensive) bag I'm using now. If you get one, post a review!

10. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    whoa nellie! Thanks. I could have been a little more **** clear, especially since it is a Gibson, which is not a common name for an UB... Actually a short scale SG EB(G) could be called a 3/4? Anyway, I looked at the typical ~$150 bag, and it was a little too roomy for my bass, and that one was pretty heavy, too.
    I was just wondering if there is anything kind of cheap, and lighter out there. My bass doesn't get out much, yet. I will check those references, and if anyone has others, great!

11. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i'd second checking out gollihurmusic.com
    he (Bob Gollihur) has some stuff in your price range.
    i purchased the $139 one a few years back and it gets the job done... not as nice as the Mooradian bags, but less expensive. he's has some other options as well at higher and lower price points.

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I think it was because you were the first one out with the nasty language:

Ed was sarcastic, but you went right for the insulting foul language. If you're gonna dish it out, then you gotta be able to take it. I'd prefer to see none of it. I'm confident that most here, including Ed, would agree with that.

As for economical bass bags, Gollihur, Upton, and Lemur have a number of good options.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Probably because your response & choice of language were inappropriate; he was mirroring your behavior.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I know a well-padded case can be somewhat bulky, heavy, and expensive. But don't devalue your bass. First of all, certain "vintage" American plywood basses have market value that might surprise you, depending on many things including your locale. Second, minor damage can lead to expensive repairs in excess of what you might think the bass is worth, resulting in a sad dilemma.

15. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    How many frets does that ol' Gibson have? Humbuckers?

16. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Regarding protecting the bass - that's a good point. I don't want to be too foolish if I start taking it out. I would like to have someone look at it to see what kind of value it has. I have been concerned that it's condition would be a negative factor. The top was "refinished" by the previous owner, using an orbital sander (the tell-tale small circular digs are quite visible under the varnish). Except up close to the neck area where some remains, the original stripe was sanded away around the edge. Structurally it's OK; the bridge seems high, not original, and has other blems. It has some sound, not stellar, and still breaking in some new strings.

Funny you should mention frets... While this old Gibson of course has no frets, it does have some side dots that someone installed in the edge of the fingerboard. Just three, and not in locations typical for guitars. Do you think these could be original?

17. wdnewman

wdnewman

Apr 13, 2009
    Some student model basses (and some more advanced too) had side dots put at the 1/2, 1 and 3 position to aid in "learning" the position. I think Upton still offers this option. Some students put pencil marks on the side, some put tape on the fingerboard, some used their ear, which really is the best way of all. Mostly they were crutches for ex-guitar players who can't get used to not having frets around. Frets work opposite for me...they just get in the way and cause buzzes... goes to show, huh.

18. PsychoScout

PsychoScout

Mar 18, 2008
    Belgium
    do BG's come in 3/4 size?

19. Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Dec 29, 2009
    Fair Hill, MD
    Remember Hondo? I think it was my first BG, a short scale cheapie that got me started, and famous in the Middle School talent show... ...you could say that was a 3/4?
    ;-)
    (Thanks for replies. Ordered an affordable bag made be Bellafina. Should be OK)
    Now I need to think about this bass... practice... and does anyone know a shop that would be willing to give an opinion of value (range) based on pics and description? (Excellent violin shop nearby (Wilmington, DE) but they're not very interested in basses.)

Peace.